Muzzleloader hunt (pics)

G

Went muzzleloader hunting on Saturday morning around 7:30. Took the 2 min. walk in the bush from my parents house to the first field I planned to hunt on. Spooked 2 deer just befor getting to the field. When I got to the edge of the field I started counting deer. Within 1/2 a mile from where I stood I counted 26 deer. Not good for a sneek but tryed anyway. Got to about 400y from a group of 5 and was spotted. Tryed on 3 more groups with no luck. I was getting hot so I stopped to take off my jacket and hung it on a fence. Was about to go for a walk in the bush when 2 deer (doe and fawn) walked into a clearing at about 50y. I pulled the trigger on my 50cal and let the 300g SST fly. On inpact the deer flipped on its side in mid air and hit the dirt. One for the freezer. In 3 weeks and I'll be out to try some of Richard's Wildcat's. Hopefully at a little further than 50y.
339622.JPG

entrance wound
339624.JPG

Exit wound
339623.JPG
339621.JPG

339625.JPG
339626.JPG

Steel target from 750 yards
339630.JPG
339632.JPG

View of steel target from my parents house
339633.JPG

Harv,
Great pictures, interesting story. Suggest you paint the big steel plate white, much easier to see hits.
Thanks again,
ian

If I paint the steel white what do I use for a aiming point? I like the white on black. Mabe a black ring with white center?

Harv,
We do not use an aiming point, you just cut the rectangle in four which is the center of the plate. You get used to it, if you need an aiming point for reference a small black or orange dot will do fine also. We like to keep the steel clear of aiming points so we can see the bullet splats easier - can see out past 1000 yards with a decent spotting scope.
Good luck with your target - you sure got some pretty country to hunt in.

I'll give the all white target a try. The land in the picture is in the pembina valley. My dad has 3/4 of a section and I have access to 3 more quarters. Lots of places for 500+ yards and a few spots 1/2 a mile and more.

Harv where abouts in MB? It looks to me like along the edge of one of the parks?

Nice pictures of the wound channel. I should have taken some of the ones from the buck that I shot with the 250 SST's at about 125yds. Entrance was between 2 ribs. Exit wound was very nasty. Similar to that of a Bal tip out of my '06. Biggest differnce was the lack of blood splatter inside the cavity and meat. Entrance was just behind the front shoulder just above center and the exit was just low enough to not screw the loin up to bad. Dropped like a ton of bricks. Had no idea what hit him.

Calvin

My parents land borders the Pembina Valley Provincial Park 2 miles from the US border.
351014.jpg

Looks like a pretty nice area to hunt. I envy those that have the valleys and river bottoms to hunt. My dad's land is about 4 miles south of Riding Mountain National Park. Just a little to far south for the Elk and Moose. If there were a season in the spring it would be great. They tend to come that far south to calf. To much bush where he is located. There is so much cover that a few steps and they are out of sight. Thinking of trying some plots to see if it will entice them to stick around. That is the whitetails.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.