Muzzlebrake and magnetospeed?

I've recently begun shooting with a brake on my new to me 7mm rem mag. i was able to throw the magnetospeed on for a couple shots to possibly confirm my suspicion. so far i've been using a crude drop chart built off data on factory ammo boxes and now a few reloads. each time i'm coming up well high (.55 mils @450). precision is good with even the factory loads so far. currently i'm reading 100-200fps higher than where i should be (3339fps with factory barnes lrx 139gr). I've had no other signs of high pressure out of the rifle or cases. bolt lift is fine and the primers are not flattened, unlike my tikka t3 that flows the primers flush with even mild loads.

i've been reluctant to shoot with the muzzlebrake and magentospeed on at the same time due to how fragile the MS3 attachments have been with my other rifles. any reason to worry about the unit itself?

will the MS3 read correctly with a muzzlebrake?

should i just be happy this thing shoots and seems to deal well with the excess pressures?

Yea I found out the hard way.
Loaned it to a buddy that wanted to test some loads i just developed for him for his custom 338 lapua and the break (a fat bastured) was too long to be able to center the end of it in the Valley of the dogleg in the MS so he cheated it forward and burnt the strap in half on my MS.
I had to figure out how to put a new trap on it.
All is well now. :)

Yea I found out the hard way.
Loaned it to a buddy that wanted to test some loads i just developed for him for his custom 338 lapua and the break (a fat bastured) was too long to be able to center the end of it in the Valley of the dogleg in the MS so he cheated it forward and burnt the strap in half on my MS.
I had to figure out how to put a new trap on it.
All is well now. :)

when my strap wouldn't stay tight and the rubber blocks kept breaking i started to use skis straps with the bottom rubber. i wrap it twice and it doesn't slide like it used to. i'm sure that's the demise of my factory strap but this is superior for my use.
https://www.voilestraps.com/aluminum-buckle-straps.html

Funny with the timing of this thread..
I shot my braked 300 Norma Mag over my Magneto Speed the other day and it's straight up not working now!
I'm getting a code saying the bayonet sensor is unplugged??
I think the serious amount of muzzle blast screwed it up, I'm going to contact Magneto Speed and see if they'll check it out.

Bblackaj,
That's odd,
We have shot several calibers from 6.5 cm al the way up to the 338 lapua (major blow back, even swings the lens cover on my spoting scope from 6-8 feet back) with no issues.
Have you tried taking the battery out for a min and firing it back up then?

Bblackaj,
That's odd,
We have shot several calibers from 6.5 cm al the way up to the 338 lapua (major blow back, even swings the lens cover on my spoting scope from 6-8 feet back) with no issues.
Have you tried taking the battery out for a min and firing it back up then?
Yes I even replaced it, and when I plug it in the display flashes "Plug in bayonet"
I played with all the setting options and it still wont clock a shot.
I sent an email to Magneto Speed so I'm hoping they'll check it out for me.

If there are concerns with the Magneto Speed and muzzlebrake (and it doesn't sound like there should be), there are other chronograph options:
$100

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028MTBJ4/?tag=lrhmag19-20
$130 gets you bluetooth connectivity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FTJYQ9Z/?tag=lrhmag19-20

I have an optical Chrono for the bow but haven't shot it at the range in years. Kind of a pain in the butt to use at the range. What is new to me is the muzzle brake. Thinking of ditching it for a suppressor or just going back to bare muzzle. I don't need it for the recoil but do like less muzzle flip.

I love the idea of a suppressor over a muzzle brake. For hunting, a muzzle brake is just a deal breaker for me. So freaking LOUD. So I have to wear ear plugs or bring muffs to wear on my hunting trip? The suppressor kills two birds with one stone (tames recoil AND knocks down the noise.) I just wish they were easier to acquire. A 9 to 12 month wait, $200 'tax stamp', paying for a trust, and getting photo'd and fingerprinted just to buy a 'gun muffler' is ridiculous (to me.) But I want one so bad. Shooting friend's guns with them on makes me see their tremendous value. Someday...

As for the chronograph of choice - I get it. EVERY chronograph requires some setup, so you pick your 'poison' I suppose. For me, putting the gun in the bag and getting it lined up with the target (action open!) then positioning my chorono (with sunscreens) 15 feet out on a tripod isn't too much work. Harder to do on a public range when you have to wait for a timed ceasefire. I can see the advantages of the MagnetoSpeed or LabRadar in that situation.

When I bought the magneto speed I had some of the same concerns. I have checked mine on an AR with a three prong flash hider/ suppressor mount and with the suppressor. only minimal difference, I just got a Bergara HMR pro in 6mm cm and shot it without the brake, then with it and saw no change outside of the statistics. I managed not to save the data. had another shooter at the range interested and playing with the display. shot the same loads over a shooting chrony and was within 5-10 fps If you figure the 12ft distance of the chrony and the 3 inch of the magneto speed its pretty close on the velocity.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.