Muzzlebrake or not to muzzlebrake

txsendero

I've taken my muzzlebrake off (made by Briley in Houston). With it, get terrible group size, and a couple inches higher POI @ 100 yards, and without the brake (and with the exact same loads), get great groups.
This on a Rem Sendero w/26" Hart barrel. Anyone had any similar experience, or know what would cause this?

My first thought is that the bullet may be hitting the brake. Remove the brake and inspect very carefully and look for any small rub marks, probably some copper transfer. Chances are this is your problem. Either the hole is not bored over enough and/or the brake is not installed true with the bore.

Ya thats what I was going to say. Check it. When I had my muzzle brake put on, my gunsmith told me to shoot it and then check to see if there is any copper shavings in the brake, or he also told me that if the shots were all over the place he would have to open the brake up more. But you don't want too much opened up. Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it. Muzzle brakes are good I like mine. ;)

I know a guy who recently bought a very expensive SWS rifle from Peter Stahl in Germany.
The rifle was a 338LM but was factory fitted with a .30 caliber muzzle brake.
This rifle shot a whole lot better without the brake, LoL, but it actually did shoot several shots without any damage to anything than the brake itself.

I have made several .338 brakes and I have never had to open them more than 0.02" over bullet diameter.
I made a 50BMG brake recently but made this one 0.02" over bullet diameter through the first to ports and 0.03" through the last two ports due to its length. Longer brakes needs more accurate fitting to prevent the bullet from touching.
The rifle shoots sub 1/2MOA groups with this brake.

If you open the brake to much you will lose some efficiency but a tight brake needs to be accurately fitted if you want the rifle to be accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.