Vais Muzzlebrake

7ultra

I'm having a Vais muzzlebrake installed on my 338 winchester, and was wondering how much the boomer will kick after installation. Its not that I am particularly recoil sensitive (I shoot full loads of 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win in light Ruger sporters, unbraked), its just I figured once I bumb the bullet weight up to 250 grains, I want to still comfortably bench the gun with no second thought. That said, any imput would be great. Thanks

well , brakes tend to have a better recoil reduction on high pressure overbored rounds loike most of the big cased 30 and 7mm and such. Not saying that you won't get good reduction on the 338 but it may not be as drastic as on say a 300 Ultra. The vais is a good brake I would guess in the range of probably 25% reduction realisticaly , I'm sure it will put it down in the range of the 7 mags if not a little lower.
Your still gonna get some recoil purely from getting that big heavy bullet moving , its Newtons law. I've never been abole to make the compairison but I would think that even though the brake may be more effecient on a drasticaly overbored caliber like the 300 Ultra I believe that you won't see as much muzzel blast with your 338 as with a big overbore , which is a plus.

While we're on the muzzlebreak topic -

I've read a few posts about this topic. Many indicate that hearing protection is a must (even in the woods). Obviously if your on the range your going to have hearing protection with you. What about when you're out in the woods. We stalk our animals out here in the NW. We're not on a stand all day like you see these other hunters do in other parts of the country. So needless to say wearing hearing protection while hunting is not an option. Is this going to be a problem hunting with a muzzlebreak? It is for a .300 RUM.

Spliz,
What I do is wear a foam earplug in my left ear which is towards the muzzle since I am RH, and then my right ear is shielded somewhat by my big melon. Another option is Walker's game ear or any of the other electronic type muffs which amplify sound and block out gun blasts.

Here in AZ, my hunting is optics intensive. I stalk and walk with conical earplugs - the type on a plastic hoop - around my neck. If I have to take an immediate shot I forgo the earplugs. Most of the time I have plenty of time to set up the shot and get my earplugs in before I ever shoulder the rifle.

One of my hunting buddies got his kid a pair of electronic muffs so he could hear what Dad was whispering to him. My friend glasses and sets the kid up in good locations, so he only has to wear the muffs when they spot something.

Spliz, in open terrain the .300ultra will be fine. It's when you get it into deep woods that it will be more noticeable. I do as Chris suggests, Walker in my left ear, plug in my right. Never felt handicaped with this setup, I can hear elk crashing thru the oakbush well before seeing em.
grin.gif

[ 05-14-2004: Message edited by: AJ300MAG ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.