Muzzle device for short barreled rifle, noise aware shooter

WSMDRT

18" 7mm-08 threaded factory barrel. Any devices out there to put blast away from shooter? I have a KAW valley linear compensator on 10.5" 223 AR that works well. Their 9mm model has correct threads, was considering trying it.

No experience with linear comps, not sure how much (if any) effectiveness you'd lose with it being that much overbore (9mm vs 7mm projo). With brakes, you want about .020 overbore; .075 as in this case would result in loss of effectiveness.

That said, for directing blast forward the only other option to my knowledge would be to run it suppressed.

Noise aware shooter, I wouldn't put anything except a suppressor or a thread protector on it. Anything else is going to increase noise.

I once heard an old timer tell pre suppressors they would cut the crown up to 3/4" behind the muzzle and that would make them a little quieter. Never have tried that…I need to some time.

Sharps Bros has an offering. What is the actual thread pattern you are looking for, that will help a lot.

https://sharpsbros.com/badlands/
Interesting, I'd try one if they had a Ti option and I still might at that price. Labeled as a "integrated muzzle brake" aka suppressor and almost half the price of a suppressor tax stamp. Wish they would give suppressors this label so ppl didn't have to wait a year to get one. and so much for the ~ 90 day e file I'm at 134 days!

226F6963-4FDD-49A4-8CA2-508C6A54EDD1.png

BD76C8BD-7947-4AEF-8D73-C01BDE3BAB7D.png

I have a Springfield Armory Saint Victor pistol with a blast diverter. Don't know if it's sold separately, do think it's needed,

Labeled as a "integrated muzzle brake" aka suppressor and almost half the price of a suppressor tax stamp.
If you're expecting it to work anything at all like a suppressor you're going to be really disappointed. In fact even calling it a muzzle brake is a pretty big misnomer. Muzzle brakes direct gases back at an angle to create a "pull" against the "push" of recoil that is how they reduce it. A linear comp that directs all of the blast forward will do nothing about recoil and might even increase it, although with a 7 mm-08 I don't see that being a big issue. As for noise there's no getting around the NFA. If it reduced sound even by 1db, it would be classed as a suppressor.

I have used linear compensators on my ARs and I've been really pleased. With just comfortable ear plugs you I can shoot all day if you're outside. At twilight though you get a nice fireball out in front of you. Not optimal for night hunting.

Interesting, I'd try one if they had a Ti option and I still might at that price. Labeled as a "integrated muzzle brake" aka suppressor and almost half the price of a suppressor tax stamp. Wish they would give suppressors this label so ppl didn't have to wait a year to get one. and so much for the ~ 90 day e file I'm at 134 days!

Not to sound negative, but this doesn't come within forty miles of being a suppressor, especially one that subverts NFA laws. What it is, is a brake/compensator that has an integrated blast shield. Typically these are items you would buy separately, but here they are offered together for the price of one. There will be flash hiding capability over a typical linear compensator due to the ribbing inside the blast shield, but those aren't baffles, nor will they behave like them.

You're right, the combination of being frustrated with the e form wait times and working 16 hour days lately makes me say some dumb things. It's just when some one tells me 90 days I expect them to mean what they say. But you can't expect that with this type of stuff. Still I like trying new things and think this would be neat to try on some of my shorter ar pistols that my current cans can't handle to ease the blast/concussion.

Just get a suppressor(s). It's worth it. The best time was years ago so you could be enjoying over the past years. The next best time is now so you can enjoy it as long as possible.

Recent Posts