Muzzle Break for .300 Win Mag

You might look at a Gentry brake. I have put them on 4 different rifles in the past 40+ years. They are compact and work well. I use horses for hunting and carry my rifle in a saddle scabbard. The large diameter brakes most use today, would hang up in a scabbard. I currently have one on my Mod 70 .300 WSM. It is pleasant to shoot now!

Teesquare,
I too, have had multiple shoulder surgeries, even had my right AC joint completely removed.

I prefer to not use a brake unless absolutely necessary if you feel the need, go right ahead.
I guess my experience doesn't match yours, I apologise for that.

I will keep shooting unbraked rifles, as in my discipline over here, F-class Open, brakes aren't allowed on the range. I use 300WM in my heavy rifle, and 264WM in my light rifle. Also 22-250AI & 6.5X47 in short coarse.

Cheers.

I agree with Kraig.. never take a shot without hearing protection.
the muzzle brake I like for hunting in the prone position or on any other position is the one's developed by a military contractor. the M-11/M-41 are the ones on my 338 Lapua and my 300 win. I missed getting one for my 375 H&H.

Only break i have and want be the last is on a Ruger hunter it came on it and is very helpful, im 66 years and still love this caliber. Also try a different load as the gentleman above was explaining, i have a Rem 700 and played with the load. Still shooting it with no break and still getting out there quite well just because you drop a grain or so doesnt make it a bad way to go.

I use the Precision Armament M11 on my 300 win mag. It does a good job reducing recoil and muzzle rise. Factory 180 gr loads feel like a 243, my 208 amax handloads are more like a 308 win. A good set of electronic ears are needed in the field. I double up on the bench, foamies and muffs.

Make sure to get their washer set with it as well, I really like them. I have timed 3 brakes with the same set of washers... worth the extra money.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/precision-armament-m11-severe-duty-muzzle-brake.html

I use the APA brakes. I have the Micro B and the Little B. I move them from rifle to rifle. I also use electronic hearing protection while hunting and double ear protection at the range. Tinnitus isnt worth it.

I had a Bartlett installed on my .300 Win Mag. I wasn't sure about brakes, because I have been next to someone at the range with a brake, and it was not the spot to be. I've sat next to my rifle with someone else shooting it and it's no louder than before. It pushes part of the noise down range. Don't shoot it prone in a dusty area though.

Got a Mac's on a 7RUM and a Witt's clamp on on my .338 Win Mag. Both make shooting heavy loads fun. Both are side baffled. Radials kick up debris.

Starting to sound like a broken record...

1. Hearing protection aside, almost EVERYONE will shoot a rifle that recoils less better. Anything above 12/13 ft/lbs of recoil is a candidate for a Muzzlebrake in my opinion. Quite a few of the brakes available on the market also control muzzle rise which is another added benefit to BETTER MARKSMANSHIP because of a muzzle device.

2. Where I hunt (Oklahoma and Texas) suppressor's are legal for hunting so all problems are solved...

My favorite muzzle break is a JEC Custom. It has a really good combination of recoil reduction with a less harsh rearward angle slightly reducing rearward blast/noise. What it does, almost eerily, is terminate muzzle rise. The rifle recoils in a straight rearward manner without muzzle flip, allowing in a lot of cases for the shooter to stay on target in the glass...

https://shop.jeccustom.com/Recoil-Reduction-Brake-for-Bolt-Guns-in-Black-or-Stainless-JEC-5824.htm

My $.02

S/F

I use a .300 Wby. Vanguard with a Charlie Robinson break (Score-High) and Limbsaver jell recoil pad. Recoils less than my .270 with a rubber recoil pad with zero muzzle rise on ignition. Highly recommend both.

I have a Score High brake also...Charlie does great work!!

I have Dave Holland brake with no bottom ports on a Wby Ultralite in .300 Wby. Mag. Recoil is like a .270 Win. with very little muzzle jump. Ear protection needed for sure.

patriot valley shockwave. best i have tried. i have a small collection of these things now. I can guarantee you will not be disappointed in patriot valley brakes.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.