Muzzle Brakes and how to measure efficiency. Can of worms!

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

Most people just shoot them and make erroneous claims!

A few dedicated souls have built numerous sled designs which give a pretty good example of overall rearward force.

Cal Zant did a study years ago on his site precision rifle blog with accelerometers and pressure gauges that painted a very good picture of speed and energy, and in my opinion was one of the best over all reviews of the recoil pulse produced by a braked rifle.

Still no test escapes the criticism of muzzle brake selection for a given rifle, or quality of fitting of their competitors brakes prior to test.

Guilty!
A mechanical device is a good way to compare & get numbers, but in my opinion doesn't tell the whole story. It doesn't tell you what the concussion felt by shooter is like. Take an M107/M82 Barret .50BMG for instance. The recoil will get your attention but really isn't that bad. The concussion felt from behind the rifle due to gasses being forced at a hard angle back towards the shooter (or any innocent bystanders😁) is worse and is perceived as recoil, making the experience way less enjoyable. Hard to put a number on that. That is one thing felt by a shooter. Shooting is a good way to compare and see if a guy likes one brake over another, no different than a fella lining two scopes up and comparing them. The look and feel to one person "liking" something compared to another can't necessarily have a number put on it. The scientific data means little to some folks, or that's how everything would be judged. But then again, I have been "erroneous" before. 😁

A few dedicated souls have built numerous sled designs which give a pretty good example of overall rearward force.

Cal Zant did a study years ago on his site precision rifle blog with accelerometers and pressure gauges that painted a very good picture of speed and energy, and in my opinion was one of the best over all reviews of the recoil pulse produced by a braked rifle.

Still no test escapes the criticism of muzzle brake selection for a given rifle, or quality of fitting of their competitors brakes prior to test.
Cal Zant has a lot of great info on his website https://precisionrifleblog.com/category/what-the-pros-use/ Cal has been researching and surveying for years, and I highly recommend his blog 👍

To add to what Bravo said. The data isnt everything. A braked rifle may have a good bit of energy but the brake may slow its rate of acceleration to the point of a long push, and vice versa.

Depending on the shooter, and their preferences, this could be a good thing or a bad thing.

PRS blog. All the data is there. It still may take trial and error to find what ratio you like but it has definitely been quantified. For instance a buddy of mine has some of the APA brakes. I already have tinnitus and I can't stand to shoot them unless I double ear pro. My Surefire brake on the other hand I can get by with one layer of ear pro and it not make my ears ring any worse. Not as effective as the APA at braking but also not as effective as the APA at loudening 😂. I also have Surefire suppressors so that's definitely a factor in my case.

These tests tend to group the better brakes. Agreed the cartridge and blast direction have to impact the shooters' perception, but then again we must start somewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.