How to measure barrel twist?

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I know what twist is, of course, but how do you measure twist on a rifle's barrel?

First you need a swiveling cleaning rod whinch im sire you have. Put index marks on the rod handle and rod.--right at the rear where the rod goes into the handle (bore tech rods have this)

then set up a ruler zeroed at another index mark further down on the rod.

then push the rod in till the marks on the handle/rod line up with 1 revolution. look back at the ruler and see how far that index mark advanced from where it started.

clear as mud?

just make sure you keep the handle in the same orientation as you are pushing it in.

JB

[ 01-16-2004: Message edited by: jb1000br ]

Len,

Here's how I check 'em at work..take yer cleaning rod and push a tight patch about 3/4 the way to the barrel muzzle..You using a bore guide? well, take a piece of masking tape and wrap round the cleaning rod where rod meets bore guide, or where it meets back of the action, whatever, and wrap it so it looks like a little flag, sticking up at 12 o'clock..Pull the rod back by handle only, make sure it isn't slipping, pull until that flag is again at 12 o'clock..now take your measuring tape and measure from the front of the tape to the back of the bore guide, and that should give you a good idea of the twist rate..

JR

I do what JR does exactly. I just do it from the muzzle end (carefully) wrapping a patch on a plastic brush so it fits tight. Push it all the way in so it's conformed and following the rifling perfectly. Then I put the "flag" of tape ( I use the colored MTM cartridge box lables) that JR mentioned flush with the muzzle and at 12 o'clock, withdraw the rod for 1 revolution exactly and measure. If you're anal about it, place another flag here too, and withdraw another revolution to compare and see how consistant the twist rate is for the length of the barrel, repeat if necessary for longer barrels.

Twist consistancy could be another good topic.
smile.gif

Brent,

Twist consistency, or try this one, how do you measure a 38" twist in a 20" barrel...nah, that's too easy, instead of taping at 12 o'clock, tape at 6 and pull 19" back...twist consistency you might want to use a cerrosafe cast and some math, ha..

JR

[ 01-16-2004: Message edited by: JR ]

I've never gone wrong with the cleaning rod and patch method. Works every time for me. Only problems i've ever had was with bbl's twisted at fractional rates (i.e. 1:9.5" etc..) Also, method doesn't work for gain twist bbls.

TH

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.