Muzzle brakes? 6.5 mm favorites and oversized performance.

A vote for the Beast line of brakes. Was a Harrel's user until I tried a Muzzle Brakes and More five port I have a five port Lil Beast on a 28 Nosler and my unbraked 6.5x47 has more recoil.

As far as the Terminator T3 vs the Muzzlebrakes and more beast 5 port, I have shot both an 11.5 lb 338 NM and a 9 lb 338 NM with the same load essentially, and the MBM Beast is a little more effective, as the 9 lb rifle feels the same as the 11.5 lb rifle. They both sport an EH-1 stock too, btw. Both are great brakes and reduce recoil dramatically, but I think the MBM does slightly better on reducing felt recoil on a side by side comparison though.

The Terminator line has 22 different models (with that many or more thread options too) ranging in size from .670" O.D. and 1.9" long and weighing 1.2 oz to 2.50" O.D. and 7" long and weighing almost 4 lbs. So for someone to make a blanket statement saying "Terminator Brakes can be a bit big" is not accurate. The brake is only as big as the model you choose. As for the OP, the T1 would match your barrel profile, only weighs 1.2 oz, it would add 1.4" to the length of your barrel and turn your 264 WM into a kitty cat.

Last edited:
A muzzle brake should have a bore diameter of no more than twenty to twenty five thousands of an inch.
If any larger than twenty five thousands the effeminacy decrees's.
A .30 cal brake on a 6.5mm will work but not as well as one as a brake made properly.
A .30 cal on a 6.5mm will work how ever it will allow gasses to follow the bullet out of the muzzle instead of venting away to reduce recoil
A 0.264 caliber brake's bore should be no larger than 0.289", any 6.5mm muzzle brake with larger bore the recoil/ muzzle jump will increase.

False. You are lumping all muzzle brake designs into one category whether the center hole will effect recoil reduction. That's just misleading. A radial brake (Vias style) has such an inefficient design that the center hole clearance matters so much more than a properly designed brake like the Terminator, it has efficiency to burn. Here is a video to back up my statement.

Great thread. I replaced the 3 port brake on my 308 with a APA Fat Bastard and can spot my shots. I run 11 APA brakes on my different rifles. I over brake my rifles so my wife can shoot any of them but with the 338 it's hard to go wrong with the Terminator other than self timing. I just built a 18 inch Proof Carbon barrel 6.5 Creedmoor and installed a APA 6.5 Fat Bastard brake. Is it overkill? It works perfect and you can see offhand shots even.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.