Favorite Muzzle Brakes?

I have shot but never owned a rifle with a brake. I would like opinions on what is liked and disliked about various types of brakes. I am thinking of building a 1K rifle on a bigger U Mag or simular sized case where a brake, (at least for me) would be a "must have."

Personally, I don't like the looks of the brakes that form a bulb on the end of the barrel. I much prefer the look of the VIAS or simular that are contoured to the barrel. Ultimately, I will go with what works, just looking for impressions.

Thanks guys, this is truely a wonderful place to come and share ideas.

Zane

R.L.Matthews of Calhoun Georgia built and installed the brake on one of my rifles, you can't tell where it is connected it has baffles to cut down on some of the noise.
If he is doing brakes your turn around time will be quick if not could be a while (at time you contact him).He is a really good smith and machinist and does plenty of work including building some very accurate rifles.

I have to ditto that on R.L.Mathews,He installed a Muzzle Brake and did a little work on My Win. Mod. 70 in 375 H&H and it shoots 3/4 in. or less @ 100 yds. with Win. 270 gr. Failsafe ammo and recoils less than my heavy brl 7mm mag and did a great job on the brake and matching the blueing.
I just need to remember to put those ear plugs in because with the brake it sounds like a 105 Howitzer going off now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Badger....

I think your choise of the Vias is perfect. I for one hate brakes as my hearing is just about gone, but the Vias is my choise as it will not hurt accuracy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.