Muzzle Brake

cdmorten

Sorry if this topic has already been covered here. I just bought a 300 WM Sendero. I'm thinking about putting a brake on it. I've heard that rifles get pretty loud with a brake on them. What can I expect?

I will be shooting it 99% of the time at the range with hearing protection on, but will take it elk hunting this year which hopefully will entail shooting it without hearing protection for 1 or 2 shots.

So the question is...is the reduction in recoil worth the increase in sound?

Thanks.

I have put muzzle brakes on four rifles and found them to substantially reduce recoil. The difference is more pronounced in my .300 than it is in my 6-284. They are **** loud too. I always shoot with hearing protection, so no problem at the range, but my ears do ring when I fire a shot while hunting. My ears also ring when I fire a shot without protection from a rifle without a brake. Well worth it to me, especially in the magnum calibers.

I'll second sniper2's accessment, I have KDF's on my Tomahawk's and would not be without them. You will never notice the noise on rounds fired hunting.

Tomahawk#1

A simple solution is to wear a foam plug in your left ear(if you're shooting right handed). This will protect the ear closest to the blast, your right ear is shielded by your face. Still allows an "open" ear for hunting.
Getting fancier yet would be Walker's game ear or any of the electronic muffs.

FWIW:
Put the brake on.
I shoot a 300 Win and a 300 Rum and they are both very loud with the brake.
But:
what they both do very well is allow you more trigger time with out dislocating your bones.You can spend time developing a load you can trust and trigger time to polish your marksmanship.

At my club range, hearing protection is mandatory when near or on the firing line area. All diciplines. Get a good set of muffs the highest db rating you can find. 28db or better.

When you go Elk hunting, either bring your muffs or foam plugs. Its not like you have to make a snap shot. You've got the firearm that will reach-out, so time is on your side, use the plugs. And as a courtsy to your guide bring a fresh spare pair of foamys for him, and let him prepare same as you do. I know he'll appreciate the thought for his hearing safety.

Enjoy;
JS

I agree with Chris. Been using the game ear the past few years, it works. I've got a few rifles with brakes, helps for those extended range sessions. When shooting my braked .338 ultra, I can get 4 shots before my ears are affected without using protection. A rifle without a brake has the same effect.

Corbett, at the range get some Howard Leight Leightning ear muffs rated at 31dB. Then also use their earplus rated at 33dB. Will make that muzzle brake noise go away.

Was shooting my RUM with its new muzzle port and you could see the gases rocketing to the side. Effective indeed. Shooting at our covered range, even a 22LR gets load so was concerned about shooting this cannon.

with both muffs and plugs, it was fine.

For hunting, take the brake off. Depending on how the shot is taken, those one or two shots could lead to permanent damage for you and/or anyone next to you. If shooting from a bench then wear hearing protection. I would rather take a couple of hard recoils then loose my hearing.

Also, if you are concerned about recoil/noise, maybe the cartridge is bigger then you need. Elk are not bullet proof and with the right bullets in the right place, the 308 is lethal elk medicine out past 500yds. What more do you want?

Jerry

Another thing to try while hunting is those little silicone ear plugs that allow normal speech through but close up on a shot. I've used them and they were fine, but as with any plug, it's hard to wear them for any length of time in the field.

AB

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.