MPI Custom Stocks

375rifleman

Anyone have any experience with MPI Custom Rifle Stocks? Particularly their microlite rifle stocks. Thanks in advance for any thoughts, opinions, or answers.

Regards

Thanks shortgrass, can you tell me what contour shapes, and action compatibility MPI offers? I'm looking at having a light weight (7lb-8lb with scope if possible) CZ-550 338 Lapua (or 338 Lapua based wildcat) mountain rifle (the reason for a MPI Mictrolite stock) with a BDL style hinged floor plate and a 16"-18" permanently affixed muzzle brake. Similar to this
Screenshot_20200430-195656_DuckDuckGo.jpg
. Without the rib or iron sights as it will be scoped with a lower magnification scope 1-6 or 1-8.

106 ounces as it sits in the pic, 19.6 oz for bare finished stock (complete gun/ no optics or rail is 87.5 oz)-- it started as a blank, yes it took hours and hours of work but I feel it came out nice , I picked it up for a killer deal here on the forums from another member. It's a mountain rifle style ultralight with 2 magnum reinforcement cross pins and alum pillars. The owner was very helpful to me, answering all my emails quickly with helpful information even though I didnt buy the stock from her. Some people have had issues with them in the past, my experience was good. I added the aluminum pillars from Ernie the gun smith, added grip panel areas to the palm swell and fore end, a hastings microcell ultra-light recoil pad, aluminum trigger guard, front "guard screw bushing", a 4 color sponge style home painted cera-kote paint job and 4 port MBM min-beast brake.
20190920_090551.jpg

Last edited:
They have quite a few patterns. They have had their share of ups, and downs.

Hopefully current owner is getting the learning curve going.

Hard to say, but I think I'd go with a blank, and finish myself or elsewhere.

Lots of information right on the web page, sometimes helps to read;)

Check with the company,, It has been awhile since I have spent any money there. I have more to do than I can get to in a reasonable time. now. It takes some skills and patience to complete one of their blanks, something many don't have today. They got some bad reviews because of this, people buying what they expected to be a "drop-in". I have bought blanks from Brown Precision, also. Brown has moved to Texas after a fire destroyed their shop in California and MPI is a different company now, after the original owner passed away, and is now owned by his daughter.

Her stuff is worth a look. I bought one that needed the 'smith to finish. Next one I would have her do it.
her labor prices were actually surprisingly reasonable in my eyes-- that was one of my questions to her-- I already had the rough stock blank and asked for a labor quote for her to relieve the action and barrel profile areas, then pillar and glass bed-- but not finish/paint the outside-- her price (I thought) was reasonable, in the end I decided to do it my self-- was a bit daunting at first to try to figure out how to do the pillars since there are no holes for the action screws, but it came out great and it shoots just fine for my purpose of an ultralight back-county/heavy woods rifle

If they have what you want, another option is wildcat stocks (I think they are in canada), I hear they are a bit less "rough" for a blank to start with-- but he doesn't have as many options IIRC

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.