Moving from Win brass to Norma, Lapua or Nosler

Alan Griffith

I've used Win brass for years. Plan on trying either Norma, Lapua or Nosler brass. I'm not so much worried about quality with the 3; it's the volume I'm concerned about. The Nosler web site they are heavier than Win/Rem. The Nosler tech rep today said they were on par with Win. I'm looking to keep volume near the same so I can keep my loads as identical as possible. So what I'm asking is which of the 3 has the same volume in 30-06 as Win?

Big Al

None of them do! I have loaded up to 77 gr RL 22 in RP 300 WM cases with 190 gr SMKs and got 3037 fps as my max (extractor marks with flat primers). When I used Nosler brass, I topped out at 74.5 gr with 3039 fps (flat primers). I am shooting, currently, 73.5 gr RL 22 with the 190 SMKs and getting 2920s fps. I would have to go with 2 or more grains of powder to get that with the RP brass.

from the little bit of Nosler Brass I have delt with it seems to be Winchester brass that has been sorted , it feel and wroks the same.

For the 30-06 I would use Lapua hands down , it'll out last the other you mention 3 to 1 its the most uniform and its pretty **** reasonably priced.
With whom ever's brass you change to your going to have to change your loads , hell even if you get another lot of brass from the same you may have big differances.
its not a big deal , just a grain this way or that and you should be right their.
but the Lapua is well worth any aditional load testing you'll have to do

I agree with JDJones,
Lapua is the only way to go if one wants to upgrade brass. You will have to work up a new load with any brass, but with lapua it will be more accurate, and last longer. Heck just do a ladder test, and in 30 or 40 rds your done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I ordered 100 Lapua cases from Midway this am. On sale for $54.99 but dang that $10+ for shipping. Oh Well!

Thanks for everybody's help!

[/ QUOTE ]

Alan,

I seem to follow you from website to website. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

When you get started on your new loads with the Lapua brass give me a call. I have a bunch of components that will work for your '06 that I am not using anymore. If you can't put together a load you like with what you have, you are welcome to whatever I have.

I am going in a different direction for today and loading up some blackpowder shotshells for a shoot I am attending next month. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts