Brass, Norma or Nosler

I dunno yet. I went down to the Nosler Pro Shop & I bought a bag of Nosler Brass the other day to try out when my build is completed. I almost choked! Holy crap they're proud of that stuff!!
So I asked the guy what made it so good? What is it comparable to? Why so much?
He was almost appalled that I would ask such a question, & got kinda arrogant. He started spouting off about thier superior product, & how thier brass was weight sorted, & completely pre propped.
....ok, so I have a few hours less work. So what makes it so "superior"? I mean its not Lapua brass. What's it comparable to?
He got kinda irritated that someone would dare even ask, & started in on his 25+ years if handloads experience..... Yatta Yatta. & nothing he'd ever used compared. When he, & his partner started in on calibers (bullet diameter) being more suceptable to run out (cartriges didn't matter, nor did bullet shape, length, or weight, or dies used or anything remotely close to making sense, but this miracle Nosler brass cured it) I figured he was a useless windbag with an ego.
I was so irked I almost took my $119. back, & told em where to go, but instead, I gritted my teeth, paid for my "superior" brass, & left quietly.
Weird thing is, my cousin (who knows virtually 0 about anything gun related), can go in the pro shop, & this same guy thinks my cousin Hung the moon, & treats him like a golden child, & bends over backwards to be polite, & helpfull, While I'm standing there with him, & I'm asking questions.
Lesson learned, take my golden child cousin if I go back to the pro shop, or just order my Nosler stuff from Cabellas or somewhere else local.
I'm kinda bummed, cause this guy only started at the pro shop within the last year or so, & I have not had a single good experience in there since.
Time will tell how this "superior" brass will perform, & IF its worth an ARM, & a leg, & dealing with a blowhard at the pro shop. It better be dang good!

I absolutely love Nosler products, but that guy really soured me on going into the pro shop. I used to love that place.

I'll continue to buy Nosler products, & support a great company, but I'm not too sure ill be going back to the pro shop on a regular basis. At least as long as that particular individual is there.

I'll keep you posted how the brass turns out. I'm hoping its worth the $$.
From what I've read, Win brass has gone drastically downhill, & I'm not super thrilled with Rem brass. I still use tons of Fed brass for my other Shortmag, & after all the prep work its just fine, but ill be danged if I'm gonna buy box ammo at a premium price so I can pull bullets.
Haven't seen Norma brass for WSM cartriges, soooooo Nosler it is for now.

Haven't seen Norma brass for WSM cartriges, soooooo Nosler it is for now.[/QUOTE]

Norma and Nosler both make WSM and SAUM brass. Nosler also makes it in 7mm SAUM which is what I'm building, However, the 7mm stuff is twice the price of the 300. So I will use the 300 brass and neck it down to 7mm. Having a 300 on the headstamp instead of 7mm doesn't really bother me.

I had intended to use Norma but I couldn't find any in stock and didn't really want to wait for a back order so I decided to give the Nosler a go.
Here in Australia, Rem brass for a 7mm SAUM is dearer than either Norma or Nosler, and both would better.

Interesting though Winmag how some staff think they are above their customers, some even think they are doing you a favour by serving you.

If Lapua isn't available, I look for Norma. Norma has always been solid and consistent for me.

I tried both Norma and Nosler for 25-06 and 7RM.

Both were excellent in 25-06.

The Nosler 7RM all had .003-.006" TIR. So, I contacted them online and they had me ship it back and they promptly replaced it eventhough I had fired a few rounds. The second lot was better, but not as good as Norma.

-- richard

I vote norma, I use a lot of it. Can usually get 5 neck sizes in 300wby before slightly taking the shoulder back, and it in my experience takes quite a few very high pressure loads to loosen the primer pockets in norma brass. They are almost as good as lapua, and even make some cases for lapua because lapua doesn't have the tooling. I like Nosler bullets, but I think Nosler brass = garbage, there was a rumor that norma was making the brass for them sometime ago, if that had any truth in it, they were the norma reject cases.

Winmag,

I to have had the same experience as you going to the Nosler "Pro" Shop. The name of that place must really get them going. There is one gentlemen in there that is really polite and helpful. He really knows what he's talking about but doesn't make you feel inferior for questioning his opinion. I don't remember his name, but the rest of them can have their "Pro" shop. I am in no way trying to bash anyone or any company its just in this day and age customer service is everything! There is too much competition between the large companies and the internet for places like that to treat their customers badly. I know, I work in the retail world and I first hand know what bad customer service can do to a company. Sorry to rant it just annoys the heck out of me.

Now on the brass question I have used both Nosler and Norma brass and they both seem pretty similar in quality. They are good but in my experience not as good as Lapua.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.