most accurate out of the box factory rifle?

Just to bring a thread back from the dead....I purchase guns when i can get them for a deal, then I or a qualified smith (read: have someone who knows what the hell they are doing, ie not me) work on them into one hole wonders. The only rifle I have not had to F with are my Savage 16 in .308. The savage I am VERY impressed with. I thought it was really good when it rewarded me with 1/2" groups....Then I handed it to a buddy of mine who just got out of the Corps.......His groups at 200 were the same as mine at 100.....Fing bastard.. This was with factory ammo Hornady match 168gr BTHP. My Rem 700 300 win mag performance was dismal, at its best I got 1.5" at 100 with good match ammo. with the cheap stuff I got 3" consistently. It is hopefully going to get a new tube and stock, and bedding job. If it doesn't shoot well after that I will give up and sell it to get a custom action. I just really hate giving up on a gun that should be a tack driver. I find it strange how a gun that costs a significant amount more than a savage doesn't shoot nearly as well. I really hope it is just a fluke in the bunch.

Just to bring a thread back from the dead....I purchase guns when i can get them for a deal, then I or a qualified smith (read: have someone who knows what the hell they are doing, ie not me) work on them into one hole wonders. The only rifle I have not had to F with are my Savage 16 in .308. The savage I am VERY impressed with. I thought it was really good when it rewarded me with 1/2" groups....Then I handed it to a buddy of mine who just got out of the Corps.......His groups at 200 were the same as mine at 100.....Fing bastard.. This was with factory ammo Hornady match 168gr BTHP. My Rem 700 300 win mag performance was dismal, at its best I got 1.5" at 100 with good match ammo. with the cheap stuff I got 3" consistently. It is hopefully going to get a new tube and stock, and bedding job. If it doesn't shoot well after that I will give up and sell it to get a custom action. I just really hate giving up on a gun that should be a tack driver. I find it strange how a gun that costs a significant amount more than a savage doesn't shoot nearly as well. I really hope it is just a fluke in the bunch.
Hope so too. Good luck for u.

My Browning X-Bolt gets my vote :D just looky here......

Attachments

• DSCN0645.jpg
    DSCN0645.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 108
my savage 10 fcp-k 308 .just got STEVENS model 200 in 243 it shoots great best 250 I spent.I just put in a new trigger.its a tack driver out to 300 yds( the range at my club)
but my favorite is my 1915 96 mauser CG 6.5 x 55 Swede model 63 target

tie between browing x bolt and the savage accutrigger/accustock rifles. I give nod to browning cuz it is a nicer looking rifle but performance is toss up, both are excellent

i bought a weatherby vanguard straight from the store no bedding nothing adjusted .115 group of 5 at 100 yards 7mm rem mag great rifle and i went and bought another a 300 weatherby mag .325 5 shot group at 100 yards same thing no adjustments great rifles this was the first series vanguards too and not the sub moa version my girlfriend just got one in .308 i will let you know how it shoots

Looking forward to 308 review. Impressive results for both. Both are pretty stout shoulder kickers.

i think its easy to say that everybody has their favorites and that most companies can put out more accurate rifles than duds but for the money and a guarantee weatherby has to be the best right now with there weatherby vanguard series 2 that is guaranteed to shoot sub moa and the cost under $500 alot of the savage models listed on this are 750 and up by the way just wondering any remington finatics have feeding problems i had a client that had one on a hunt last year that everytime he tried to feed a round it would catch and my new .338 win mag in remington is doing the same thing

dont know the answer but ill tell you that my most accurate out of the box rifle i ever owned is my stainless bdl 700 rem in 7stw. I dont think any load or bullet combo ive tried has gone over a 1 1/4 at a 100 yards and its a rare load that doesnt go under an inch. Loads it likes are 1/2moa. Second place would be my sps blued 06. I fitted it in a cdl stock and beaded and floated it and its another 1/2moa gun. It acutually shot just as well in its cheap plastic stock. Hell of a gun for 400 bucks. So i guess you get that i kind of sway toward model 700 rems.

dont know the answer but ill tell you that my most accurate out of the box rifle i ever owned is my stainless bdl 700 rem in 7stw. I dont think any load or bullet combo ive tried has gone over a 1 1/4 at a 100 yards and its a rare load that doesnt go under an inch. Loads it likes are 1/2moa. Second place would be my sps blued 06. I fitted it in a cdl stock and beaded and floated it and its another 1/2moa gun. It acutually shot just as well in its cheap plastic stock. Hell of a gun for 400 bucks. So i guess you get that i kind of sway toward model 700 rems.

the question was right out of the box.

A typical Savage varmit rifle with the laminate stock starts out as a half inch gun, and many shoot in the high three out of the box. A Cooper varmit rig is in that same catagory. I've seen of the box varmit Howas shoot in the low fours out of the box (a lot of them to be exact). Have not shot the Sako TRG yet, but have seen other Sakos shoot sub half inch groups right out of the box. From there the air gets pretty thin

Now if you goto a factory benchrest match you will hear the term "Savage Line". That's becauge 75% of the rifles used are Savages (but why?) when you could use just about anything.
gary

Last edited:
tie between browing x bolt and the savage accutrigger/accustock rifles. I give nod to browning cuz it is a nicer looking rifle but performance is toss up, both are excellent

Xbolt in 243 Win. Did not break in the barrel properly, but still it commonly shoots .25 MOA @ 200 and its sweet to handle. Just the right weight and balance. I have some targets from 200 yrds where 3 rounds look like 1 slightly enlarged single round hole. Sick fun.

I would vote Sauer 200STR/ SSG3000, with AIs, Sako TRGs and Tikka T3s close.

My 6.5x55 easily shoots 1/2 moa 5shot groups, with almost everyting i have fed it. 3shots of factory Lapua 139gr Scenar makes 1/4 moa groups

The 308 barrel has 10k rounds through it, but still shoots sub-moa even with hunting loads.

The .22LR is the best .22LR i ever saw, 50m groups and good ammo shoots 3-4mm (1/4moa).

I have two 200STRs, and will buy another as soon as i can afford.

Now if the Vortex 5-20x50 Razor HD i ordered would ever show up...

K

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.