Moose?

Hey guys can you tell all of us City Boys what calibre you use?
My friends use the 303 ENFIELD and a REMINGTON .270.
My dad has shot many moose with a 308. I use a 300 mag myself. I have the theory bigger is better, but all depends on distance and where you place your shot.:D

I am currently using a 338WM, loaded with 225gr nozler accubonds, prior to that I used a 30-06 but on our elk hunts I kept having close encounters with grizzly bears in the thick....and decided to up my fire power. :D

I've shot moose with .300 Win mag, .375 H&H, .300 Wby, .300 RUM and .338-.378 Wby. and I don't think they could tell any difference.

Gus

I've shot moose with .300 Win mag, .375 H&H, .300 Wby, .300 RUM and .338-.378 Wby. and I don't think they could tell any difference.

Gus

It all boils down to the circumstance determined by distance, shot placement and bullet construction. Always plan for the worst case.

My Uncle was from the eastern area (Kingston Ontario) and gave me his .35sc Marlin and he shot just about every animal in Canada even Moose and Caribou, he gave it to me when I was 13 and it keeps on killing Deer. but he said shot under 100 yards were the the best, but he has shot Moose just over 50 yards he said it was like the hammer of God.

My Uncle was from the eastern area (Kingston Ontario) and gave me his .35sc Marlin and he shot just about every animal in Canada even Moose and Caribou, he gave it to me when I was 13 and it keeps on killing Deer. but he said shot under 100 yards were the the best, but he has shot Moose just over 50 yards he said it was like the hammer of God.
Moose seem to be kind of big babys after they are shot. Even if you don't have the best shot placement they still don't go far and either lay down or stand there with there hanging their head. People may argue this point but I have seen it and know lots of people that say the same thing. Caribou are another story. They may not go far after shot but they can sure soak up the lead. I shot one last year at 60 yards three times with a 300 mag before it fell down. Ouch. And yes all good placed shots.:)

I have not been to Canada or Alaska but I have been to the Maine North Woods, an hour from the Canadian border. The lodge that I hunted bear and grouse at, does guide for Moose. It seems to me that typical moose habitat does not lend itself well to long range hunting. What is the typical and longest shot distance that you experienced hunters expect on Moose?

I hunt a lot of 1-2 year old cutblocks as well as on the river banks. I have had opportunity to take well over 700 yard shots but have passed on them due to not everything being right. I think the longest I have taken a moose at is just shy of the 400 mark but most to be honest are a lot closer than that

358 Norma Mag loaded with 225 grain Game Kings. Have also taken a bull with a .270 win but to be honest I feel that was kind of light for the job, only reason I took the shot was because hunting partner was there backing me up with his 338Win mag

I have not been to Canada or Alaska but I have been to the Maine North Woods, an hour from the Canadian border. The lodge that I hunted bear and grouse at, does guide for Moose. It seems to me that typical moose habitat does not lend itself well to long range hunting. What is the typical and longest shot distance that you experienced hunters expect on Moose?

Some of the best moose hunting I have encountered is in this area, shots can be from up close to extreme .. just depends on what your capabilities are, cartridges like the 270 Win and 308 Win need not apply... If I dont have the wife or kid along, I always hunt alone and my set up is in an area with a lot of brown bears, my minimum factory rifle and cartridge was the Rem 700 LSS in 300 RUM and Sako TRGS M995 in 7.82 Warbird...... now I use a custom 338 Edge.... 100% success rate 20+ years

Attachments

• Long Range-1.PNG
    Long Range-1.PNG
    206.4 KB · Views: 150
  • LRH Moose-c.PNG
    LRH Moose-c.PNG
    454.5 KB · Views: 144
  • LRH Moose-b.JPG
    LRH Moose-b.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 133
  • LRH Moose-a.JPG
    LRH Moose-a.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 132
  • Long Range-3.PNG
    Long Range-3.PNG
    195.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Long Range-2.PNG
    Long Range-2.PNG
    264.2 KB · Views: 127
towards the last week of the season the bulls get aggressive and stupid.
They are easier to call in close, a 270 Win 0r 308 Win is perfectly suited for situations like this.. but brown bears often come in to calls so a 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM is my minimum and I have a 500 S&W revolver as backup if things get close and "hairy"

moose aren't that hard to kill just put it right behind the shoulder and they kind of stumble and look around for a place to lay down....

in the pics below is on of my "calling" areas and if a fella is patient and gets em in close a 444 Marlin, 45-70 or even a 454 Casull or 500 S&W revolver can dump any size bull.. but again a 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM is my minimum because sometimes the bulls come out 300 yards in the last minutes of light and that might be the only shot ya get.......

my favorite calling spot is my "Rock Stand" (w 300 RUM LSS) shots can be from 20 yards out to about 500 yards,

I ended up shooting my bull at 30 yards with my 338 Edge this season, could not do my long range hunt due to work and concentrated on calling at these locations later in the season with the time I had, watched him come in from 500+ yards out grunting and snorting all the way in, it was an early morning hunt and I had all day so I let him come in ! got some video footage of him walking 20 yards by my calling spot, I let him go on his way... after moving to another location with no success, being the last day of the of the hunt I came back in the evening and called him back in and DRT at 30 yards with my 338 Edge and one coated 300 gr Accubond leaving the muzzle at 2900 fps
( a hot load with 30" 9.5 twist Obermeyer bbl)

Attachments

• Rock Stand-a.PNG
    Rock Stand-a.PNG
    544.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Rock Stamd-b.PNG
    Rock Stamd-b.PNG
    465.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Rock Stand-c.PNG
    Rock Stand-c.PNG
    196.2 KB · Views: 160
  • Rock Stand-d.PNG
    Rock Stand-d.PNG
    269.8 KB · Views: 142
Most of the time we spot them quite a ways off but due to size restrictions you have to get a good look at them before you can shoot. They need to be at least 50" wide or have 4 brow tines on at least one side. The 60" plus bulls are fairly easy to spot even at a distance but the ones from about 55" down can be kind of iffy unless you have something to compare them to. Here is one through a spotting scope.

Gus
1290844502_img_0085.jpg

Here's one that is a bit closer. Neither of these were big enough to shoot.
1254441382_rear_view_moose.jpg

They have to be at least 50" wide?? How on earth does that work out when people are out hunting moose? It's not like you can run up and put a tape on them.....must be a lot of moose that are 'under the mark' shot??

Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing those. But I'm curious how this 50" thing works out in practical hunting situations???

CS

They have to be at least 50" wide?? How on earth does that work out when people are out hunting moose? It's not like you can run up and put a tape on them.....must be a lot of moose that are 'under the mark' shot??

Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing those. But I'm curious how this 50" thing works out in practical hunting situations???

CS

Hunters need to be able to do field judging but the easiest way is to count brow tines. Some GMUs ( game management units) require 3 brow tines on either side and some require 4. A moose of about 55" or larger are fairly easy to spot and many will hesitate on shooting moose in the 50" to 55" size range unless they have the required brow tines.

Gus

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts