Moose load

Occaisional flyers is not caused by the bullet. If it isn't the shooter, it is either velocity variation, UN-concetric ammo or variable neck tension. If your cases are not all trimmed to EXACTLY the same length, and unless you are getting the same pressure on each crimp you will get flyers. Shoot these loads again over your Chrony and pay particular attention to the data from the flyer shots. Also, separate the case for each one that does a flyer. If you can't see the cause of the flyer in the FPS/SD/ES, reload the good cases, do not reload the flyer cases and re-shoot the groups. If you still get flyers eliminate the crimp and double check concentricity. Let us know how you make out.

I have a model 70 westerner 300 win mag that I've been trying to work up a load for. I want to shoot 200gr nosler partitions for a moose load but I keep getting flyers. Start out with 1" and then a flyer making it 2-1/2" group. I just tried shooting 180gr factory federal fusion loads just to make sure it isnt the gun or me and I got 1" groups.

H1000, 79gr, winchester brass, cci mag primer Lee factory crimp. I'm starting to think this gun won't shoot 200gr.
I would try a different load. Different powder.
I have been using a 325WSM the last few years. With 180 grain Nosler ETip, and 200 grain Barnes X.
The 180 Nosler for moose, they really do he trick.
180 grain is plenty adequate for moose.
Here's a picture of 2 Nosler 180 bullets. Both recovered from 2 different moose.

Attachments

• 59E53D20-5430-474C-A38C-FD3D58442BF2.jpeg
    59E53D20-5430-474C-A38C-FD3D58442BF2.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 154
Moose are huge; accuracy isn't much of an issue with them, honestly...unless you get a chance at a wolf or something similar. I have shot two past 300 yards, but even then, it is a big target. You won't be shooting them at super long range; likely less than 200.

Moose are huge; accuracy isn't much of an issue with them, honestly...unless you get a chance at a wolf or something similar. I have shot two past 300 yards, but even then, it is a big target. You won't be shooting them at super long range; likely less than 200.

Moose are huge but you still have to hit them in the right pace. A badly hit moose can go a VERY long ways, no matter how big a gun or what bullet you have used. That said, a gun that will do a 3" group at 200 yards is adequately accurate. Bad hits are almost always the shooter. Patience to wait for the right shot, and learning well the anatomy of your target are far more important than most other factors hunters spend so much time obsessing about. I doubt that 1 in 10 hunters have studied the internals of the game they are hunting for the first time. You see this a lot with people hunting in Africa. They do the high behind the shoulder shot common to Whitetail and wonder why the animal runs away. If you look at the inards of most African game you will see just how different they are built to North American Game..

fd6dd7ca4c8b96068dab8ecee057d75d--moose-anatomy-animal-anatomy.jpg

eland_diagram.jpg

Are you shooting through a chronograph? Keep records of the velocity, Check when you get a flyer.
Are you weighing powder charges on good set of scales?

If you are crimping your loads, Trim cases to same length for a consistent crimp.

I would change primers first, Or Lot Number of primers.
A bad lot of primers can cause major problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.