Moose load

reggart

I have a model 70 westerner 300 win mag that I've been trying to work up a load for. I want to shoot 200gr nosler partitions for a moose load but I keep getting flyers. Start out with 1" and then a flyer making it 2-1/2" group. I just tried shooting 180gr factory federal fusion loads just to make sure it isnt the gun or me and I got 1" groups.

H1000, 79gr, winchester brass, cci mag primer Lee factory crimp. I'm starting to think this gun won't shoot 200gr.

Have you tried changing up your load for the 200? You might try new or once fired brass,different powder and primer before you give up on the partition. I shot 200 grain partition s with a stiff charge of 7828 and I think a cci magnum primer on my old 300wm. Had mine just off the lands. Was my all around load for that rifle. Worst case a 180 partition should work too.

Have you tried changing up your load for the 200? You might try new or once fired brass,different powder and primer before you give up on the partition. I shot 200 grain partition s with a stiff charge of 7828 and I think a cci magnum primer on my old 300wm. Had mine just off the lands. Was my all around load for that rifle. Worst case a 180 partition should work too.

I do have some 7828, I might try that. I am going to play qith OAL tomorrow.

I had great luck with the 200 gr accubond and IMR 7828 out of my win mag, I was using the fed GM215M primers and Hornady brass. Shot under 3/4 moa out to 500 yds very consistently. Good luck and good shooting sir!

I have a model 70 westerner 300 win mag that I've been trying to work up a load for. I want to shoot 200gr nosler partitions for a moose load but I keep getting flyers. Start out with 1" and then a flyer making it 2-1/2" group. I just tried shooting 180gr factory federal fusion loads just to make sure it isnt the gun or me and I got 1" groups.

H1000, 79gr, winchester brass, cci mag primer Lee factory crimp. I'm starting to think this gun won't shoot 200gr.

I also stepped up to the 200gr load in my 300, my rifle likes the Accubond with a now obsolete powder but RL22 also performed well, Fed215 primers, not that the Partition didn't work but I never had to look further than the Accubond.
Just took another moose at 287yds.
Good luck
BB

I know you said you want a 200gr AB, but I'd consider a Hammer Hunter from Steve in the 181gr or 199gr (with correct twist) flavor. Every Hammer I've loaded in various calibers has been incredibly accurate and unpicky about powder, seating depth, or velocity. They do cost more and the AB may have a slight edge in BC, but for me, the extra money and lower rated BC is worth the trade for ease of reloading and performance on game.

Not being sure Reggart is reloading; 200 Regular Accubonds are factory loaded by several manufacturers. If reloading buying some 200 AB seconds from Noslers Shooters Pro shop and a trial box of Steve's 181 Hammers. Wilkup is right on! Should save a bunch of time. You will be happy and your hunt will be Epic. 😊

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts