308 win moose?

I would go with 165 or 180 gr. partitions in .308. I keep seeing people say moose aren't hard to kill and I'd like to find some of those bulls. I have seen them absorb a lot of bullets in the vitals and keep going long enough to make it tough to find them. Their vitals are a big target and a single expanding bullet will do the job but plan on helping the process along with a follow up or even back-up.

If I were using a .308 Winchester to hunt moose I would be looking at the Barnes 165gr TSX, or if not recoil sensitive I would step up to the Barnes 180gr TSX out to 200 yards either bullet will give good penetration and performance. Congratulations on pulling a tag and good luck with the hunt. Perhaps when you get back you'll share some photos of the hunt.

I shoot Barnes in my three hunting rifles and so far they have preformed perfectly. My 30 06 shoots the LRX 175 gr, my 6.5 PRC and creedmoor uses the LRX 127 gr. I have shot game from 60 yards to 600 yards. One thing that makes loading barnes easy is they seem to have a pretty big window for bullet jump.

I drew a tag in 2010, and I had a .308 with a 20" tube. I used a 168 grain nosler ballistic tip, and it worked fine. Muzzle velocity was 2675, shot the bull at 175 yards through the mid shoulder, took two steps and went down. Bullet was under the hide on the off side. He did lay there with his head up, I put another one through his neck to finish him, though it wasn't needed, his lungs were destroyed, and it was within 10 seconds of the first shot. Ballistic tips are pretty fragile bullets, similar to Bergers in my experience, I wouldn't be afraid to use any of the ones listed, though if you were going to suffer the loss of bc in trade for a mono bullet, I wouldn't waste it on a Barnes, use a hammer.

Another variable that may come into play, how far would she take a shot on a moose with her .308, and what is the twist rate? That could dictate which bullet would be the best choice as well.
Sounds almost identical to my experience except 18 1/2" tube using factory Federal terminal ascent ammo.
Terminal Ascent
P308TA1
Caliber308 Win
Grain Weight175
Ballistic Coefficient.536

Ok thanks I'm going to try some 180 accubonds my buddy has some if they don't shoot I'll try partitions. Will post pictures after the hunt. From what I have heard it's fairly easy to harvest one in our area.

Wishing you Good Luck!
96606944-94BF-4344-B19F-D0401C37C760.jpeg

Hi all, my wife drew a any moose tag for ND. She has a 308 win. What do you think for a bullet I reload, so do you guys think a 165gamechanger or 168 Berger vld would be good or should I go more like a Barnes ttsx, or Nosler accubond or partition?
My coworker using 308 with Nosler ballistic tip on elks many years in a row, no walkers. 100 to 300 yards. Elks are no moose but hope it helps...

Bullets are a little hard to find right now so if you don't have the bullets you mentioned on hand start looking now.
A friend took a nice moose with a Sierra 165 gr HPBT #2140 bullet and man that bullet hit hard.It shot the best in his rifle and that's the most important part of selecting a bullet.
Yep cup and core bullets still takes animals all over the world,bonded is nice but I took a moose 25 years ago with a 180 gr Hornady Interlock and it's impossible to die any quicker,just a thought if you can't find the bullets you mentioned.
Old Rooster

One of my hunting buddies has killed two very large Moose. He uses a .308 with 180gr Nosler Partitions, I don't know his load. I think it's his calling that gets the Moose, he is also the best shooter I've ever meet.

Load a 300 Savage for a fellow who has shot quite a few moose with it. Very close to .308 ballistics. 165 gr bullets at 2650 do a number on moose with good shot placement. I know the .308 will give a couple hundred feet per second better. He took to Africa as well for planes game loaded 165gr Nosler Partitions. Took Kudo, Red Hartebeest. Gemsbok, warthog and Steenbok. No issues. Probably not many people would use such a round in Africa.

Recent Posts