Montana x-bows illegal

Thats all. 3 months! Is that all seasons together or just archery? Either way not that much. Unless you are talking elk as i am talking deer. Then totally different. Obviously we dont have them.

Nj depending on what zone you are hunting archery starts in September and ends somewhere in February. With a few weeks off for shotgun or muzzleloader.
They are long. You can hunt elk 6 months out of the year already not sure it needs to be longer?

Last edited:
Not trying to steer away from the OP, but this sentiment is garbage. And as someone who hunts multiple states every year, spending thousands of my hard earned dollars in your state I might add, I'm sick of being called an "idiot" or that we non-residents "screw up your hunting". Last time I checked Montana received more than $9.3 billion in federal aid. That's not including all the revenue us non-residents contribute to your state's economy.

Don't get me wrong, I understand you being protective of your state. I don't want people from outside my state telling me how to live in mine either. I'm just sick of being looked down like I'm doing something wrong when all I want to do is hunt.
I'm not referring to ALL non-residents. Some are great people who are respectful hunters and stewards of the environment. But you should see some of the morons we get here every year. I've seen everything from people accidentally shooting other hunters to poaching to trashed camp sites to trespassing and many other things. But the craziest thing I remember was one year these idiots shot 2 pack mules out in a private field thinking they were filling their cow elk tags. So completely retarded they even field dressed the mules and brought them through the game check station happy as pigs in crap thinking they had a successful elk hunt in Montana. The wardens couldn't believe their eyes.

If you respect our land, abide by our rules and regulations, and hunt responsibly then I have no problem with that. I hope you enjoy your hunt

I have run into out fo state morons and into resident morons both in Texas and Colorado. I think being resident or out of state does not mean one behaves differently. A moron is moron and will behave the same home and when visiting! We were hunting in a private ranch once and one of the guests, a resident, was requested to leave and was black listed!

I'm not referring to ALL non-residents. Some are great people who are respectful hunters and stewards of the environment. But you should see some of the morons we get here every year. I've seen everything from people accidentally shooting other hunters to poaching to trashed camp sites to trespassing and many other things. But the craziest thing I remember was one year these idiots shot 2 pack mules out in a private field thinking they were filling their cow elk tags. So completely retarded they even field dressed the mules and brought them through the game check station happy as pigs in crap thinking they had a successful elk hunt in Montana. The wardens couldn't believe their eyes.

If you respect our land, abide by our rules and regulations, and hunt responsibly then I have no problem with that. I hope you enjoy your hunt
I appreciate that, and I apologize if I took your earlier comments too harsh. If there's one sentiment I completely agree with is that there are idiots everywhere.

But the craziest thing I remember was one year these idiots shot 2 pack mules out in a private field thinking they were filling their cow elk tags. So completely retarded they even field dressed the mules and brought them through the game check station happy as pigs in crap thinking they had a successful elk hunt in Montana. The wardens couldn't believe their eyes.

I've heard that same exact story for years now from guys in Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado...

I've heard that same exact story for years now from guys in Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado...
Crazy I know. I heard it straight from the warden and other FWP personnel that had the mules come thru their check station that year. Would have been hard to believe otherwise. Was about 25 years ago. This instance happened up the Hungry Horse Reservoir in the Flathead Valley of Montana. The mules belonged to an outfitter that based hunts up by the Spotted Bear ranger station.

The mules getting shot for cow elk or cow moose is a longtime fable. It's in the same fables' group of the hunters who survived freezing to death by killing their horses and then climbing in side them, but were trapped when their horses froze. 😂

The mules getting shot for cow elk or cow moose is a longtime fable. It's in the same fables' group of the hunters who survived freezing to death by killing their horses and then climbing in side them, but were trapped when their horses froze. 😂
Can't find records of the mule story being that it's so old. Perhaps it was exaggerated a bit, but that type of stuff actually happens.

There have been 2 cases of the same thing happening with llamas mistaken for elk. Field dressed, tags notched and all. There really are people that stupid out there.

Last edited: