Montana 'Shoulder Season?'

Sounds like they should rename this hunt Shoulder to Shoulder Elk Hunting Season. I am going to strike this off my list of hunts to do.

Wise choice. This whole thing called a shoulder elk hunting season is an absolute mess between the land owners, politicians and Mt FWP. It is nothing more than renaming sometning we've had for years - damage hunts. I went to a number of the meetings on these proposed shoulder seasons and even though the public opinion was well over 90% against it they past it anyway.

It would not be an event I would want my son to participate in for his first experience unless you were 110% confident that you had an association with a land owner or two.

My father in law manages a large ranch in one of these "shoulder" areas. One of the challenges people are going to find at least in the area he is located is that most of the ranches where elk are frequent they are also outfitted. Good news for the outfitters I guess. Little more income before the regular season starts as well as after it ends. Have a little mixed emotions on how early they are starting this season as well. Middle of August means the cow have all calved but that also means your leaving a few month old calf on its own. But at the same time your probably talking about some fat prime elk meat. 6 in one half a dozen in the other I guess. Good luck to all who participate in this hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.