☆ Montana Elk and Deer Season 2023 ! ☆

Rum Man

Best of Luck to all you Hunters on the Montana Opener tomorrow!

Aim small ...miss small !!

Post your pictures for all of us Back East Dreaming of being out there with you all !

Its Game on for Me next year!

Be Smart with all the Bear Activity going on right now !

20211114_154624.jpg

Rum Man

IMG_2394.jpeg
Killed my first bull opening day with a general season tag. 433 yards with a weatherby vanguard 300 win mag shooting 200 grain eldx hand loads. After having my truck totaled by a lady hit me, missed taking my daughter on the youth hunt due to whiplash and not having a truck it was great to get this fella with my dad next to me. My uncle and a few of the boys from hunting camp came down and we got him back to the cabin quartered up late last night

Any details on the Rifle ? Distance ?

Rum Man
IMG_2390.jpeg

Weatherby vanguard in 300 win mag shooting a 200 grain eldx around 2889 fps off a spartan bipod and vital impact rear rest. Distance was 433 yards from this position, which called for around 4.6 moa, went to 4 moa on the reticle and held high on his shoulder and took out the bottom of his lungs. Went 40 yards over the hill and piled up in an old cut

I have hunted 4 days now, and been into elk on each. First three I was trying to fill a cow (or bull) tag and had a lot of opportunities though they were a lot farther from a road than I wanted in the warm weather for the opener. This morning all I needed was for a pretty good bull to take a few more steps into my shooting lane and as if he has a sixth sense he gave us the slip. It was a great encounter in a place that I don't regard as a good spot to get one. So close. I'm looking forward to adding a photo to this thread when I connect with one.

I can't be the only one who skins ann elk BEFORE quartering it?

I have hunted 4 days now, and been into elk on each. First three I was trying to fill a cow (or bull) tag and had a lot of opportunities though they were a lot farther from a road than I wanted in the warm weather for the opener. This morning all I needed was for a pretty good bull to take a few more steps into my shooting lane and as if he has a sixth sense he gave us the slip. It was a great encounter in a place that I don't regard as a good spot to get one. So close. I'm looking forward to adding a photo to this thread when I connect with one.

I can't be the only one who skins ann elk BEFORE quartering it?
Good luck to ya, Troutslayer2! I always skin my elk before getting the meat off the bone. I haven't gutted an elk for years - never had the luxury I guess! Elk are hard work! I was able to connect with a small bull on Monday evening. Happy to have some good meat and extra time to concentrate on getting my dad and daughter out there soon.
IMG_0525.jpeg