Montana rifleman action

JPRITT

Hi all,
Just wanted to know if anyone has built any long range guns off the montana rifleman action. I have already started building mine with a lilja barrel cambered in 300 rum and a MPI stock. any feedback on this action/set-up would be great.

I built a lapua off of the Montana barreled action, the gun is wicked accurate and killed a 6x6 bull elk at 780 yards. We have drawn 5 tags for this upcomming season and the Lapua is just getting broken in. Let me know if you have any questions??

[ QUOTE ]
Hi all,
Just wanted to know if anyone has built any long range guns off the montana rifleman action. I have already started building mine with a lilja barrel cambered in 300 rum and a MPI stock. any feedback on this action/set-up would be great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seem like feed back would be of more value before starting a project,you are commited at this point,makes no difference what others think at this juncture..........

Some more...

Well since it doesnt look like you are gonna get much help I thought I would add some more.

I was very skepical at first about Montana, however there was a handfull of options besides the barreled action that we wanted and were gonna be more $$$ so to keep it in price range we decided to go with Montana. We were actually buidling a custom 6.5 at the time as well so opted for the montana.

I will say this, the Montana barreled action has shot better or as good as any rifle I have ever seen. I would put it up against anything anyone has ever built on here. Not saying its better, but lets face it an accurate gun can only be so accurate, after that human interaction takes place. I know Kirby and a handful of others make IMO from what I have seen on here the finest long range hunting rifles going right now. THis gun stays small out to 1000 and puts 5 shots at 100 in just a little ragged hole.

The gun consists of a :
30 inch Montana #8 montana barrel (1-10)
Montana Action (.338 lapua)
Nightforce BR 12-42x56MM
Ken farrel 20 MOA base
Ken Farrel rings
Mcmillian A-5 stock
factory trigger at 3lbs
Vias muzzle break.

I have had zero problems and havent had to touch the action to accurize or anything. Montana makes a fine long range rifle, while I am sure there is better on the market. This particular rifle already has a kill at almost 800 yards on a mature bull elk which is more than most can say on here I would imagine.

Loads right now are 94 gr H1000, 250 SMK, 3000-3025 fps
we are making the switch to 300 SMK so we will see how that goes

pictures have been posted before but they are avalible on Montana web site in the "trophy room" - custom rifles part.

hop your rifle turns out like mine has /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks Traks, I ended up just getting the action and using a lilja barrel. but i've heard good things about their barreled actions too. Unfortunatley I bought the action before I found the web site with all this info availible. but sounds like others have had good luck with the action so I'm gonna cross my fingers. thanks !

You should be glad you already have the action.. My buddy has been waiting for over 1 year for a barrelled action in 338 RUM.. Montana keeps telling him 3 weeks and then nothing..

I dunno why he hasn't phoned and told them to shove it up their .... yea you know..LOL..

I would never have one now after the poor poor service he has recieved.. and I was very close to buying one.

I know how he feels. Mine took nine monthes and I also got the " it should be ready in 3 weeks" line. I also called at the end of those three weeks for monthes before they mailed it. they also raised their prices to $617 for the Magnum stainless. has your buddy looked at a Stiller action yet? its more like a Rem. 700 then a winch. 70 they seem to have a pretty good turn around time. cost about $700

I have a M1999 Charter Short action, chambered by them with one of their barrels in 6.5x284. I bought it when they were first producing them and its sitting in the gun safe.

Does it use the same stock as a Winchester Short action rifle? Before I invest a lot of money in stocking it I would like to drop it into a take off stock and test fire it.

Thanks

If you look at McMillans web site they list the m1999 action with all their winchester stocks. I used and MPI stock because supposibly McMillan is way backed up with military orders and is approximately 16 weeks out. I got my MPI in 3 weeks.

I remember when I bought it they said something about a pre or post Win 64 Stock, I forget now. I was hoping a Winchester tupperware take off would work, something from eBay. Then if it shoots get a A-5L for it.

Thanks

I bought it as a charter action, before they went into production. It took a long time to get, a lot of delays, and has sat in the gun safe since. I don't think the design has changed since it first went into production???

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.