Montana Rifle Company

Swatman05

I am looking to purchase a rifle from Montana Rifle Company. I'm looking at the Extreme X2 in either 28 Nosler or 30 Nosler. Does anyone have experience with this company? From what I've seen, they look like really good guns and everything is built in house. Thanks for any input!

I am looking to purchase a rifle from Montana Rifle Company. I'm looking at the Extreme X2 in either 28 Nosler or 30 Nosler. Does anyone have experience with this company? From what I've seen, they look like really good guns and everything is built in house. Thanks for any input!

They are in the same neighborhood with me. Jeff Sipe is a good guy. I have been through their operation and seen what they do. I think they make a very nice product. I do not have one nor have I worked with one, but I think you will be well served with their product.

Steve

They are in the same neighborhood with me. Jeff Sipe is a good guy. I have been through their operation and seen what they do. I think they make a very nice product. I do not have one nor have I worked with one, but I think you will be well served with their product.

Steve

Thanks for the reply. I sent them an email asking if I could get a heavier barrel on the rifle I'm looking to get. Waiting to hear from them. gun)

05, a friend has one in 300RUM. It shot a .335 group @ 200 last Sat. Barrel cleans very easily and the action is very smooth. He is quite pleased with it.

We've had 4 actions all were good. "Smith has done several and has been happy. I currently have a .300 WinMag I like.

Thanks for the reply gentlemen! I'm excited to get one! How do the 30 Nosler and 28 Nosler compare to each other? I primarily hunt deer, but plan on hunting elk and antelope as well.

IIRC, you mentioned on a different thread that you would love to have the opportunity to hunt in Montana, well, this is one way of having a piece on Montana before that. :):Dgun)

Cheers!

Ed

They have a very good reputation. I have one of the M1999 actions and dearly love it. It's basically an even beefier version of the Model 70 Classic and I'm an admitted Model 70CA nut.

Where would be a good area for elk for a beginner?
With an outfitter if you can afford one. Len usually has good deals on group hunts every year for forum members. That's where I'd suggest you start. Elk hunting is one of those things you just really need someone experienced to help you with a few hunts if at all possible and the better they know the area the higher your chances of success are going to be.

With an outfitter if you can afford one. Len usually has good deals on group hunts every year for forum members. That's where I'd suggest you start. Elk hunting is one of those things you just really need someone experienced to help you with a few hunts if at all possible and the better they know the area the higher your chances of success are going to be.

I'd love to go with an outfitter, but those prices are extremely high. I've seen people pay over $6,500 for a hunt.

I'd love to go with an outfitter, but those prices are extremely high. I've seen people pay over $6,500 for a hunt.
The Group hunts that Len puts together are done at very good prices and would be worth looking into.

If you can't swing that the next best option is to find a new friend in a good area and get yourself invited.

Volunteer to be a pack mule, spotter, camp cook and wood chopper, whatever it takes even if you don't draw a tag.

I've never drawn myself but have now been on 6 elk hunts all of which were successful and I wouldn't be prouder if I'd done the shooting.

What you don't want to do is go it alone and get a bull down in a place you'll have to pack it out one pack load at a time. The fun goes out of that real quick and if you decide to give up and let the critters get the rest after a trip or two or it spoils on you due to high temps and you abandon it you can end up in serious trouble with the Game Wardens for wasting game.

Elk offer you a lot of considerations you won't think of. Visit the Elk hunting sub forum here in Hunting and read all you can there, it'll be a lot of help.

The Group hunts that Len puts together are done at very good prices and would be worth looking into.

If you can't swing that the next best option is to find a new friend in a good area and get yourself invited.

Volunteer to be a pack mule, spotter, camp cook and wood chopper, whatever it takes even if you don't draw a tag.

I've never drawn myself but have now been on 6 elk hunts all of which were successful and I wouldn't be prouder if I'd done the shooting.

What you don't want to do is go it alone and get a bull down in a place you'll have to pack it out one pack load at a time. The fun goes out of that real quick and if you decide to give up and let the critters get the rest after a trip or two or it spoils on you due to high temps and you abandon it you can end up in serious trouble with the Game Wardens for wasting game.

Elk offer you a lot of considerations you won't think of. Visit the Elk hunting sub forum here in Hunting and read all you can there, it'll be a lot of help.
I appreciate the advice good sir! I'm stuck in Oklahoma unfortunately. Need to make friends up in Montana and out west

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.