Moly Coated Bullets How to clean your barrel

bjlooper

I have a 270win that I hunted with Barns XLC I would like to clean the Moly out of my barrel and start using uncoated bullets. Any recomendations on how to do this.
DR B

Here is how I was told to do it, and I made the switch w/o issues. Clean out the carbon, GM Tec works well, use a brush and scrub. Then attack the copper with your favorite copper cleaner.

Once clean of carbon and copper shoot the bullets of your choice. Eventually the remaining Moly will wear/burn off and be cleaned up with the regular cleaning you would do after shooting the un-coated bullets.

Are you talking about the Blue coated bullets that Barnes was producing? If so then it is not moly. It is a proprietary baked on coating. The Barnes CR-10 I believe is supposed to be able to clean out this coating. Call Barnes and ask them: 1-800-574-9200
Edited to add: After I posted I called Barnes and they said that about any type of cleaner will remove the Blue Coating and it does not adhear to the barrel.....

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.