moly affecting accuracy

genecole

I am fixing to buy a rifle that a guy is using for long range competion. He is currently shooting moly coated bullets. I would prefer to shoot non moly coated bullets though. I was wondering if accuracy of the load he has worked up with the moly'd bullets will decrease if i simply replace them with non moly's ones.

Accuracy shouldn't suffer but moly is a lub and you have increase the amount of powder when shooting moly bullets to obtain the velocity you want, so when you begin fireing non-coated bullets the resistance will increase and you will have to decrease the amount of powder used.
db

..One on-going experiment we have going on around here is something of a "moly break-in" thing.. Roy's had several rifles now that he's shot molied bullets in for the first hundred or so and naked after that.. It seems to be really cutting down on fouling but it's hard to be cunclusive about these things.. He's using a HawkEye to check the bores, so.. My .02¢ would be to give it a good cleaning and go shoot..!! d:^) JiNC

Hi !
My experience is that mixing of moly and non-moly is rearly a good idea the same day, unless you wanna spend 5-10 rounds to "clean" the barrel before the groupings come back.
If you shoot some moly and than change to a non-moly bullet you will get grouping worse than you can imagine (compared to after cleaning the barrel).

BUT, if you clean the barrel well before switching you should not have any problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.