model 700 WSM magazine boxes

kallen

I need some education...
The topic is probably somewhere but I can't find it. I see that Wyatt's has a center and staggered feed, and remington has a BDL and ADL WSM box I just don't understand what is working best per application.

What I mean by this is that it seems a lot of gunsmiths like to build the WSM with a extended Wyatt's centerfeed magazine to help feeding. I have a Tikka that has a removable centerfeed magazine and it works fine when detached for loading, but I couldn't imagine loading from the top. So I have this vision of fubbling around trying to load a BDL style with a center feed magazine.

On the other hand I have a staggered box on a 300WSM Browning a bolt which is much easier to load. I don't load from the top, but easier none the less.

On the remington 700 bdl or adl we load from the top and with the length of a WSM cartridge being adapted to a short action things are tight dropping a round into the ejection port. To cut to the point...is loading a center feed magazine a pain in the ***?

kallen I installed the the Wyatt center feed box on a BDL and it is a pain to load from the top. It also took a lot of tuning on the box lips to get it to feed right. The factory set up would not feed right from the beginning. After installing the center feed box it feeds fine but now I usually just load the cartridges from bottom because it is so much easier.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.