Model 70 LA to MLA

HBowman

Hey guys, I have come across a cheap model 70 in 264 Win Mag with a horribly rusted barrel. I have been wanting to make a 358 STA and didn't know if I could put a new tube on that rifle without modifications. What do I need to do to make a long action into a magnum long action. Is it expensive, something I could do with parts? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks a bunch. PM or reply to post.

From what I know, the .358 STA's round length is a bit longer than 3.35 inches; the limit for standard length Model 70 receivers and magazines. The receiver's magazine cutout would have to be milled out at the back end for a longer magazine to fit. That's how the Win. 70 H&H magnum rifle receivers were made; I used to have one. Find out what the actual over all length of the STA version ammo goes to.

Instead, you might want to think about a .358 Norma Magnum round which could easily be used with a standard length Win. 70 action and magazine length. It's close enough to the STA version of a 35 caliber belted case and game won't be able to tell the difference.

Yep, what Bart says... If you had a rem 700 it would be no sweat, but if the mag's under 3.6" I wouldn't think of a 358sta in there as she'll be a single shot. A 375 ruger may be a hell of a way to play if you are looking at horsepower only; if you want good trajectory AND horsepower I'd go with a 338 win mag as the bullet choices are broader. If you are stuck on 35 cal go with the norma as mentioned.

I have a 7mm STW and would like to get all the ST rifles, that is why I am thinking STA, I have a 375 H&H for my big horsepower and momentum gun. Thanks for your input though guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.