Model 70 .338 Lapua?

lv2hunt

Has anyone ever heard of or see why a post 64' model 70 push feed, long action receiver could not be used in a .338 Lapua or .338 RUM build? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
lv2hunt

Lv2hunt,

Dimensionally, I would say it would be possible but the PF Win 70 is in the same boat as the Savage receivers. While they are dimensionally similiar to the Rem 700, they have not been tested by chambering in this size of a round to the extent of the Rem 700.

As such, I would have to recommend against it for one of my customers if I were asked this question. In the conventional receivers, I only recommend the Rem 700, Wby MkV, the large Sako and some of the CZ receivers for this chambering.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Kirby for the information, I value your opinion email sent in reply.

Chris Matthews, Shawn Carlock, and other gunsmiths on this forum would any of you feel comfortable with building a .338 lapua or .338 Ultra on a model 70 action, do you think this action can handle the pressures. Chris I know you build .338 Lapuas on 700 actions, ever do a model 70 based .338 Lapua or would you be interested in doing one? Thoughts please.

Thanks,
lv2hunt

Winchester chambered the .338 RUM for a few years so I'd think one of their long actions would work.. But I'm no smith so if the smith says no then I wouldn't do it!

338 Ultra Mag is no problem on a M70. I know that 338 Lapuas have been done, but I would definatly reccomend against it. The problem is that a M70 has an even smaller thread in the action than a M700. And many people believe a 338 Lapua is too big for a M700. Wyatts does make an extended mag for a M70, so a 338 Edge type cartridge works well.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts