Model 7 Build Questions

rem243

I recently acquired a Model 7 FS .243 (Brown Precision Stock) its a beautiful gun but with an 18.5" barrel, I believe a new and longer barrel could help balance it out.

Primary use would be for deer/pronghorn sized game. Ive also contemplated using this for chamois/mouflon in some parts of asia and europe and possibly for NA sheep.

I gave serious thought to the 6xc (loaded with 105/108 Bergers) and have also considered the 260 and 6.5x284 based around the 120gr class of bullets. Thought about a 6br as well. I know I dont want a Creedmore - mainly because Im not mainstream like that. I used a Model 7 based custom on a hunt in France chambered in 6.5 Creedmore and got the animals I was after, it handled really well.

My main rifle is a .280 so a 7-08 is out of the question as well.

My requirements are as follows:
properly head stamped brass
quality brass (Lapua, Peterson, Alpha, Norma, etc..)
6.5 or 6mm
Non-magnum
Max COAL of 2.8xx (which is the size of the Model 7 magbox)

Thoughts? Something Im not considering or missing, for those that have gone this route before?

I put a 22" #2 barrel on my Model 7 and it seems to feel right. However I stuck with the 7-08 but now intend to rechamber it to 7-08 AI. I also have a Model 700 TI in 7-08 and intend to make it an AI also. Cases with the AI chamber seem to last so much longer than the orginal parent case. 10 + reloads on an AI case are kinda standard.

Well, I know you said you didn't want a 6.5 Creedmoor but believe it or not they are easy to load for and great factory ammo support. I had 4 .243's years ago and one of them is now a 6.5 Creed, it shoots everything lights out with a Brux 4 groove barrel and a Mcmillan stock. I promise you will not grow a man bun, you will grow fond of a fine easy shooting cartridge. I would shy away from the 6.5-284 with the short action. Cheers, Jason

I love a Remington Model 7!!! I remember lusting for a 7mm -08 at the local hardware store when they came out! I've had a few and have rebarreled as many—-tinkering! 😜
The limiting factor with a Model 7 is COAL. Whatever you decide has to be >2.85 to shoot as a repeater (if memory serves). 6xc would certainly be an option with 105vld @ 2.76"at proper seating depth. 243 with same puts you at +/- 2.96.
I currently have a magnum version in 6.5 SST that is off the charts accurate and speedy too! It started as a 300 SAUM then a 300 WSM then a 6.5 REM Mag on to the SST as a result of having to shoot light for caliber bullets due to limited COAL.
I hope you have as much fun without the frustration I've endured!