Model 7 .308 18-1/2"bbl. Rebarrel to 18 or 20"?

CLP308

I have an older Model Seven in .308 that needs a new bbl. I have over 1500 rounds out of it and the bore has several spots that look like cracks and are pretty deep. So, the dilema is do I keep it real short or go 1.5" longer. Next, which contour? I am thinking 20" with a magnum sporter contour fluted to lose any extra weight. The work will be done by Bobby Hart as he is 20 min down the road. I use the gun for hunting whitetails from thick brush to open fields. 300 yds is the longest field that I hunt over. It will also be getting Bobby's muzzle break.

I want to keep it under 6.5lbs without the scope using the factory walnut stock.

Thanks

Talk to Bobby Hart and get his opinion. He will steer you right. IF it were me, I would go with the 20" with a taper to .850" at the end of the muzzle. I currently have an 18" with a 1" straight palma contour. If I did it again, I would have them cut it down to .850" Things shoots really well though. Can't complain about that.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.