Valkrie 18" or 20" on a AR15?

Glenn Tullius

Given, all the major barrel makers are backed up for a minimum 4-6 months or MUCH longer. I found a 18" barrel in stock, but wanted to go 20" for the build. For up to 500 yards would it really matter that much velocity wise? tia!

I think you should look at the ballistics. With an 18" barrel, you basically have a .224 valkarye with .223 rem ballistics, so no advantage..

If I'm not mistaken, you really, really need a 24" barrel in a 224 valkarye to see the real benefit of the cartridge.

I think you should look at the ballistics. With an 18" barrel, you basically have a .224 valkarye with .223 rem ballistics, so no advantage..

If I'm not mistaken, you really, really need a 24" barrel in a 224 valkarye to see the real benefit of the cartridge.
As I understand it, the velocity is not the real advantage, it's the ability to shoot up to 90 grain bullets with the 1:6.5 or 1:7 twist barrels. I shoot heavy for caliber bullets in my 220 Swift bolt gun, and for speed, the 22-250 bolt with the light bullets. I just want to build another AR with a receiver I got in a trade for virtually nothing. :)

As I understand it, the velocity is not the real advantage, it's the ability to shoot up to 90 grain bullets with the 1:6.5 or 1:7 twist barrels. I shoot heavy for caliber bullets in my 220 Swift bolt gun, and for speed, the 22-250 bolt with the light bullets. I just want to build another AR with a receiver I got in a trade for virtually nothing. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.