Ballistics on a 20" Pipe

austino33

Hey guys, I decided to purchase a Remington 700 AAC-SD in .308. It has a 20" barrel with a 1 in 10 twist rate. I needed a rifle I could learn the basics of long range shooting on, but also needed a rifle which I could hunt elk and deer on. I decided that this rifle would be the best mix of the two and what I personally wanted. So before anyone says, "well you should've got this..." save your breath, I love what I got and don't want trolls lecturing me on what they think I should've got, I'm working with what I got, I'm simply looking for knowledge on another subject. I am currently looking for the best round for elk that will kill it properly. Right now I am not comfortable with shooting an elk any further than 300 yards so that's my max range, just looking for info on bullet size and such.

Thank you,

Austin

I would go with a 165 grain bullet. 180s would work well too but I think you'll be giving up just a little of the cartridge's potential with that heavy of a bullet in a 20" barrel. I like Accubonds and Ballistic Tips but there are a ton of good bullets to choose from. Good luck on your hunts this year.

I agree if you want just one bullet to do it all. 165 gr Nosler Accubond and Varget, RL15 or IMR 4064 should let you get around 2600 to 2650 fps from your 20" tube. I have a 21 1/2" Heart barrel Rem 700 action 308 that I just strictly deer hunt with and most of my shots are under 300 yards. I use 125 Nosler ballistic tips with 46 grs IMR 4895 for right at 3000 fps. It is an awesome deer killer.

Thanks fellas, keep it coming! I'm still learning all this stuff right now. I appreciate your help!! Right now I'm shooting 175 gr HPBT that shoot like a laser out of my rifle but I'm not sure on ballistics, and am looking for experienced hunters opinions with the .308 and expansion and such. I will be deer hunting with it as well so that's good to know what works for you! What would y'all say is the slowest velocity you'd want to hit an elk with? Not saying I'll match that just want to be sure I'm above it! I know people say it's all shot placement but why risk it ya know? I shoot 180 gr super x with that 1-10 twist and that stuff works well too! sorry for bouncing around so much! Haha what do you guys think?

Thanks!

I shoot a 20" 308 amd 175 SMKs while this is not a hunting bullet I have taken deer with it @ 450 and they dropped like a rock. For the distance that you are going to be hunting shoot what shoots best and have fun.

I would shoot a Barnes txs... No .308 bullet is going to have the retained weight and mushroom expansion of the barnes triple shock just google it lots of information on it.... If you planed into getting into longer range shooting later. I would look into the 175 vld berger i shoot them at 800 yards in a 9 inch group. out of my 20 inch Remington 700, it's an older production with the 1-12 twist. Bergers do not retain their weight when they hit they basically shrapnel everywhere cutting up the lungs, heart. the bullet preforms at a multitude of ranges good luck.

Awesome information!! I have looked into the triple shock. Let's say for elk in colorado, 1-10 twist, would you guys recommend a heavy gr or like stated earlier stay around the 165-168 gr? Thanks

I have the same rifle as you and love it. I recently discovered the 165 grn federal deer thugs (wal mart brand) and I put 20 rounds into a 6 inch diameter plate at 300 yards at my range. I was awestruck by it. I couldn't believe how consistent the hits were...Also, you should have gotten a 300 RUM on a trued action, with a 30 inch broughton barrel, and a mcmillian A5 stock...troll. :D

Hopefully yours will like that ammo. It's cheap too like $20.00 a box.

I will have to look into those too!! Man I have a lot of testing to do haha! And haha believe me sir, if I wasn't a 20 year old college guy paying for school, I would have gotten something such as that!! Poor college kid problems right?? I'm glad you love the rifle though!! I put the SWFA SS 10X42 on it and am working for a Mcmillan or a bell and carlson! I love this rifle already though for sure!! Thanks troll!!:)

The 1-10 twist will handle up to a 215 gr bullet but you would be sacrifing so much speed it would not be worth it to shoot anything over 190 and that's still too much IMO. Yes anything from 168-185 would be good twist stabilizes the bullet the heavier the bullet the more twist it needs so less lighter the bullet the less twist. But it's hard to over stabilize a .308 so don't worry about it you can shoot anything out of a 1-10 .308. As far as factory ammo Remington's seem to like cor-lock's and their cheap. I would def give em a try and I would never hesitate to kill an elk with a core-lock great bullet. The gun you have will shoot 1000 yards on a 12" steel plate with the right ammo and reloading techniques. The right factory ammo 400 yards no problem. Many things come into play at these distance's however. The factory has ammo has to be consistent the main thing that hurts factory ammo is concentricy that's how straight the ammo is seated into the case often time a 10 thousands off a completely straight bullet will deteriorate accuracy. So without getting into relaoding because it's a major initial setup then it begins to play off down the road. Hornaday make a tool called the concentricy gauge, it will measure and correct concentricy, it might would be something I would look into in the future.[ame]https://youtube.com/watch?v=8QdgEQb9Wds[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.