MOA rifles vs true custom build

I started to take your advice, but could not resist commenting.

The problem is I am opinionated about the question so I will try to give a un-opinionated response.

First, there are some very good pre-made rifles that will shoot very well, and with some careful research you can find a good one. If I were going to buy a pre-made rifle I would first look at the guys on this site like Len for one because they understand the needs of our sport and have a reputation to look out for with the membership.

Lots of builders require that you pay for testing of there preferred loading and offer no accuracy guaranty if you shoot/load any other load that there's. This is one of the issues that I have with these rifles because a well made rifle will/should shoot every load well and when you find the right load it will be scary accurate.

Going the custom build has many advantages in my opinion if you pick the right smith that wants to build you something special and has the skills to do so. They are out there if you look and talk to them and explain what you want and expect.

When finished, a custom built rifle should be one of a kind, exactly what you wanted, and the build should be a lot of fun and satisfaction. In the end, your chances of owning a real nail driver should be better, and cost might even be less because you are not paying for a name, just quality. Its kind of like having a baby, You should enjoy making it and have complete control of its quality and performance if it is treated/raised right.

Building one with the right smith can also a 'good' learning experience if the right smith is picked.

J E CUSTOM

Jerry,

You're no where near opinionated and one of the few folks here that I look up to and your response is a prime example why.

Cheers!

Ed

that is why so many out there are successful building and customizing rifles

but to each his own

which is better?

a $750 savage that shoots half inch groups

or

an $8000 custom job that shoots half inch groups

beauty is in the eye of the beholder

The lead smith over at MOA has his poop in a group, shoots and builds PRS rifles, and they have great CS, and build a very nice rifle. They're are a lot of great custom builders, and an equal number of flake hack custom builders. Some guys are buddies with xyz smith and think that they do great work, when in reality their version of great work and others greatly diverge.

From there its all about the risk/reward.

I spoke to the smith at MOA and he had no issues answering any of my questions. That being said I have also talked with several builders who have been over the top helpful as well. I haven't decided yet but I appreciate your responses and sorry if I pushed a button with anyone.

I spoke to the smith at MOA and he had no issues answering any of my questions. That being said I have also talked with several builders who have been over the top helpful as well. I haven't decided yet but I appreciate your responses and sorry if I pushed a button with anyone.

No buttons pushed here. I think we are all on the same page. Looking for great rifles for the money spent.

Steve

No buttons pushed here. I think we are all on the same page. Looking for great rifles for the money spent.

Steve

Same here! We have lots of excellent resident gunsmiths here and none of them tooted their own horns because they simply don't need to; their work and many happy customers speaks for themselves.

that is why so many out there are successful building and customizing rifles

but to each his own

which is better?

a $750 savage that shoots half inch groups

or

an $8000 custom job that shoots half inch groups

beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Not speaking for the other smiths on this site, But a total custom should cost between $2,000.00
and $3,000.00 dollars unless the person wants lots of special parts. Working up loads is also very expensive if a person wants the builder to do this and can drive up the price considerably.

Buying a factory rifle that will consistently shoot 1/2 MOA is also a risk because some will and some won't. Most good gunsmiths start there accuracy guaranty at 1/2 moa as the minimum requirement and most can/do build a rifles that will shoot 1/4 MOA or better.

I have seen and even worked on some 6 to $8,000.00 rifles and they had the same or less quality parts that any true custom has and did not shoot any better than many $2500.00 custom rifles.
in fact the owner had to use there loads, or there high priced rifles would not shoot under 1 MOA.

To me the absolute top price anyone should pay for a first class custom build is $4,000.00 dollars.
from there all you are paying for is the name.

Factory rifles are just that, they can shoot very well or be real turds the chance is always there.
I have worked on and accurized many factory rifles and the one thing that was consistent with all of them was that they all had some degree of issues that could have been better even though some shot well they still need truing in some form or the other. PS; After they were accurized they ALL shot better than before.

There are some very good/accurate factory rifles that can be bought for less than $1400 to $1500 dollars but there is no guaranty that you will get one. It is great when you do and would make anyone happy.

For this game, 1/2 moa is not good enough in my opinion and 1/4 MOA is a good starting point for
distances over 1,000 yards. To be competitive, at 1,000 yards and more, most rifles have to shoot 1/10 tenth MOA (Less than .100 thousandth of an inch at 100 yards.

Personally, I would be stunned if any of the top smiths on this site charged any more than $5,000.00 Dollars for there best work.

The reason I posted on this was not to start an argument, I just didn't wont new people to think they had to pay $8,000.00 to have a Custom rifle built. I am retired and have no dog in the hunt
So my comments are based on experience and value.

Just some comments.

J E CUSTOM

Not speaking for the other smiths on this site, But a total custom should cost between $2,000.00
and $3,000.00 dollars unless the person wants lots of special parts. Working up loads is also very expensive if a person wants the builder to do this and can drive up the price considerably.

Buying a factory rifle that will consistently shoot 1/2 MOA is also a risk because some will and some won't. Most good gunsmiths start there accuracy guaranty at 1/2 moa as the minimum requirement and most can/do build a rifles that will shoot 1/4 MOA or better.

I have seen and even worked on some 6 to $8,000.00 rifles and they had the same or less quality parts that any true custom has and did not shoot any better than many $2500.00 custom rifles.
in fact the owner had to use there loads, or there high priced rifles would not shoot under 1 MOA.

To me the absolute top price anyone should pay for a first class custom build is $4,000.00 dollars.

Factory rifles are just that, they can shoot very well or be real turds the chance is always there.
I have worked on and accurized many factory rifles and the one thing that was consistent with all of them was that they all had some degree of issues that could have been better even though some shot well they still need truing in some form or the other. PS; After they were accurized they ALL shot better than before.

There are some very good/accurate factory rifles that can be bought for less than $1400 to $1500 dollars but there is no guaranty that you will get one. It is great when you do and would make anyone happy.

For this game, 1/2 moa is not good enough in my opinion and 1/4 MOA is a good starting point for
distances over 1,000 yards. To be competitive, at 1,000 yards and more, most rifles have to shoot 1/10 tenth MOA (Less than .100 thousandth of an inch at 100 yards.

Personally, I would be stunned if any of the top smiths on this site charged any more than $5,000.00 Dollars for there best work.

The reason I posted on this was not to start an argument, I just didn't wont new people to think they had to pay $8,000.00 to have a Custom rifle built. I am retired and have no dog in the hunt

Just some comments.

J E CUSTOM

I totally agree. I just mentioned $8000 because some other poster did. I know i can plunk down $3500 and have a 1/4" gun. Been there and done that.

I envy those with the.skills

My most recent endeavor is to put together savage rifles that will meet my 1/2 and 1/4 inch goals.

Just some comments.

J E CUSTOM

Thats the beauty of my MOA rifle, it showed up with load development done and sighted in. I used their recipe, loaded them up myself, and got it done.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.