MOA challenge

It was my first 5 shots cleaning between each shot! Let's just say I was happy! It's a lr308

image.jpg

looking good. I did barrel break in last weekend. Going to try some different loads this weekend. Hope I find that magic one.

been fireforming brass. even those groups make me smile.

started load development today. Berger 105 VLD and Lapua Senar L 105 loaded 0.010 into the lands. Just a start with several promising loads. Lots more powders and seating depths to try.

best below, 28.6 gr 4895 behind a lapua senar L. not quite a 0.25" group but close. Notice that the vertical is negligible. It is the horizontal that needs work. That is all me.

Attachments

• 6mm turbo.jpg
    6mm turbo.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 73
Damnit! you guys ruined my fundamentals! Ive gone shooting twice trying to get this, and I have great 3rd groups, but progressively get tighter and tighter behind the gun as I shoot trying to force the gun to stay put!!

Of course this does not work, thats why I have real close 3 shot holes and two fliers off somewhere else.

my last session I got 4 groups of 5 under 1moa, one was by the skin of my teeth @ 1.039" then 1.28, .781, .937, 1.187, 1.156, 1.250, .784 and a pathetic 1.437

measuring the 1st 3 shots all groups except the last were between .3 and .75", I have to get a new cord for my camera, I have no clue where it is so I cant move the pic of the target to my comp to upload. Its on the way from amazon so I will post pics in a few days.

I just spent an hour prone in my living room trying to undue the "damage" dry firing, staying relaxed with a good natural poa on a pin I stuck in the wall.

Damnit! you guys ruined my fundamentals! Ive gone shooting twice trying to get this, and I have great 3rd groups, but progressively get tighter and tighter behind the gun as I shoot trying to force the gun to stay put!!

Of course this does not work, thats why I have real close 3 shot holes and two fliers off somewhere else.

my last session I got 4 groups of 5 under 1moa, one was by the skin of my teeth @ 1.039" then 1.28, .781, .937, 1.187, 1.156, 1.250, .784 and a pathetic 1.437

measuring the 1st 3 shots all groups except the last were between .3 and .75", I have to get a new cord for my camera, I have no clue where it is so I cant move the pic of the target to my comp to upload. Its on the way from amazon so I will post pics in a few days.

I just spent an hour prone in my living room trying to undue the "damage" dry firing, staying relaxed with a good natural poa on a pin I stuck in the wall.

ar's are touchy. what you might get away with with a bolt gun will reveal those flyers in an AR.

once you have the fundamentals down the most important thing for good groups is the rifle hold. Same grip, same cheek weld, same trigger pull. Everything has to be the same. If you are shooting off bags set the rifle up where you aren't using pressure on the grip or cheek or shoulder to line up the shot. That is my weakness. I start to force the shot after the second or third. Can't do that.

consistence is the key

if you notice the vertical component of my group is in the 1's and the horizontal is in the 3's. horizontal is me. I need to do better.

progressively get tighter and tighter behind the gun as I shoot trying to force the gun to stay put!!

If its 2 shots or 3 shots in the group when you feel yourself tensing up walk away, take some deep breaths, go BS with someone for a few minutes, do some stretching exercises. this is not a timed event it is also not a competition, relax, take your time and enjoy yourself.

I have to make myself do the same

don't go back until you are loosened up

Thanks thats good advice, I didnt realize thats what I was doing until after the last time I shot, I thought to myself "man my hand has really hurt after shooting the last two times" thats when I realized I was trying to kung Fu grip of death my pistol grip, and really bearing down on the rifle to keep the other shots in that same tight group as the first 3.

I need to accept that I wont be getting the same tiny groups with 5rds. Realistically my gun is at best a .5 moa shooter with 5rds, and more like .75-1moa avg, Still pretty darn good for any gun let alone a frankengun AR-15.

Like I said I will be uploading the pics when I get my camera cord, and I will most likely go out this weekend to re assert proper fundamentals and do better at this damned challenge!

Oh I want to ask how are most of you shooting these groups? I do it prone on the cement floor of the shooting range with a Harris Bipod.

Thanks thats good advice, I didnt realize thats what I was doing until after the last time I shot, I thought to myself "man my hand has really hurt after shooting the last two times" thats when I realized I was trying to kung Fu grip of death my pistol grip, and really bearing down on the rifle to keep the other shots in that same tight group as the first 3.

I need to accept that I wont be getting the same tiny groups with 5rds. Realistically my gun is at best a .5 moa shooter with 5rds, and more like .75-1moa avg, Still pretty darn good for any gun let alone a frankengun AR-15.

Like I said I will be uploading the pics when I get my camera cord, and I will most likely go out this weekend to re assert proper fundamentals and do better at this damned challenge!

Oh I want to ask how are most of you shooting these groups? I do it prone on the cement floor of the shooting range with a Harris Bipod.

any ar that can consistently group under 1" is exceptional.

I shoot off the bench with a front rest and rear bag. Too old and stiff for prone. Prone seems to be the most popular for AR's though.

just act like you are shooting your three shot groups but do two on the same target.

Some of this is repeat info that I posted in another area of the forums. But snox801 reminded me of this MOA Challenge post. This is definitely my best group I've shot with an AR.

-8 shots in 1/4 inch at 100 yards.
-Cheap Del-Ton Lite model AR15.
-Original 16 inch 1:9 twist standard contour barrel.
-Stock trigger except for I changed the springs and added a take up set screw.
-Burris fixed 3x scope.
-Original non free floated forearm guard.
-$15 muzzle brake I got from Amazon. Not sure who makes it.
-I did recently add that $3 Accu Wedge but not sure if it did anything.
-I did not use high end brass for reloading this ammo.
-I didn't measure every powder throw. I just threw directly into the case from a Lee perfect powder measure.
-The powder I used is old as hell. I bought 3 jugs of it at an estate sale last summer.
-I did uniform the flash holes of the brass.
-I used Lee Dies and did also use the Lee factory crimp die.
-Measured OAL on the picture was using a Hornady comparator on my calipers.
-The COAL is as long as it can possibly be and still fit into a magazine. And I did not single feed to get these results.
-Shot using stacked up bags in the front and a rear bag.
-And one last thing; when testing reloads I always wait a good bit of time between shots for the barrel to cool. It was getting dark on me fast yesterday and I shot this group straight without waiting. But I do know, this barrel starts walking if it gets heated. I do not think I could have shot many more and kept the accuracy without letting the barrel cool.

These are not my typical results. Most of the time this AR is an 1.25 inch shooter with factory cheap ammo. But with an 8 shot group instead of 3 or 5, I don't think it was luck either.

I'm been reloading about 6 months.

What do you guys think?

Del_Ton_AR15_8_shot_group_Resized.jpg

I just did this 5 shot group at 100 yards out in the hills off a caldwell big sand bag. These are bulk 55 gr. fmj 25.6 gr. AR-Comp powder 3052 FPS AVG. chrono at 15 feet. 20 inch crowned end fluted 1:9

I was in a hurry printing these targets out and got the paper printed side up. The wind blew my target so it was at an angle to me. that is why it is black on the right side of the holes. LOL

Shots2701_zpsh42dsk26.jpg

Lr308 100 and 200 yard 3 shot groups

2 good groups from my lr-308 shooting 168gr Amax with 40.75 gr of varget and 2.75 coal

image.jpg

It has been a month since I have been able to break loose and get to the range. My girlfriend came to visit me in the north Carolina mountains. We have been looking at the leaf change, hiking and visiting with relatives. She doesn't have the same addiction to shooting that I do. It was fun though! I miss her.

anyway back to shooting. Been playing with bullets, powders, loads and seating depth. Really have only scratched the surface and I have found completely satisfactory loads.

even my fire forming loads often produce one hole but often there is that 1 flyer.

One day I am going to settle down and shoot the five 5 shot groups for the MOA challenge. Too busy experimenting right now though.

this is one I found earlier I decided to test again. I believe it is a keeper.

lapua brass, br4 primer, H4895 28.6gr., 6mm Lapua senar L 105gr.

Attachments

• arturbo40.jpg
    arturbo40.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 91
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.