MOA base and Ring selection

Brambles

New to the longrange shooting hobbie, I'm mostly a lightweight mountain rifle with small scopes kinda guy, got a bunch of them but I've always had a interest in the 300 ultra mag, I've owned a couple. Shot lots of game with the caliber, but nothing over mid 300 yards.

I just bought a new scope for my M700 300 RUM, to get it better suited for longer distance practice. I chose the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 w/1" tube.

This is the first 50 millimeter scope I"ve owned, Do I need a Medium or High ring its got a factory contour magnum sporter barrel ?

Another thing I need to sort out is the base, I shoot a 200 Accubond at 3200 FPS, probably won't shoot much more then 600 yards in the next little while but I'd like the option to extend that range once I can find a place to shoot that far.

Any recommendations on a Base, Ring set up would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Leupold LR STD base for Rem 700 LA (Midway prod # 595804 $24.99) with Burris 1" Signature Std Matte High rings (prod # 475644 $31.99). This is a sturdy yet probably one of the least expensive configurations to put approx. 40MOA into your rifle/scope setup.
I had this on my 700P in 7Mag and I calculated I had enough come ups to take it to 1520yds if need be.
JohnnyK.

It has been suggested to me to use a 20MOA picatinny Rail and Low Tactical rings?

Are low tactical rings and high standard style rings similar in heights, I'd like to keep the cheek weld modifications to a minimum.

I think I need a picatinny rail because I need to get my scope further forward, with the current leupy 4.5-14x40 I can't shoot prone very comfortably, the scope is too far back to get a good sight picture and I can't get it forward any further with the current hunting style bases.

Thanks

Brambles,

I have a similar setup. I put a Zeiss 6.5x20x50mm on my .300 RUM 700 using Seekins rings and EGW 20MOA tactical base. Great strength, weight, and looks very streamlined. Call Glen Seekins directly and he won't steer you wrong on ring height-I can't remember exactly what we sent me.

Best,

Scott

I was able to use medium burris zee rings and a flat picatinny rail, I"m using the offset bushings to provide MOA adjustment.

Thanks for the help guys

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.