MK4 series or VX 111 Varmint Hunter reticle for my .300 RUM

pc

For a long range varmint gun should I spring for the MK4 leupold 6.5-20x50 or 8.5-25x50 IR

or stick with a Vari X111 8.5-25x50 with Varmint Hunter Reticle.

These are the models I have chosen and I am now wondering would I be better paying the extra for the MK4 series seeing as the .300 RUM is a hard kicker.

I have the VX11 mentioned on my .243 but I am wondering if the .300 RUM warrants the MK 4 ??

I also love the Varmint Hunter reticle, but realise glass etched is much better.

Thanks Folks.

I recently upgraded scopes on my .300 RUM. I had a vx2 6-18x40 Target, fine duplex for the first year. I really like those scopes for the money. I never had any problems with mine not tracking well, even on a 300 RUM. I have always wanted a MK4 and I finally got one. It is the 4.5-14x50 duplex. It is a much clearer/brighter scope then the vx2 thats for sure. I just cant believe the clarity, brightness, and contrast of the MK4. Its almost clearer looking through that glass then through my own eyes! I have shot my 300 RUM out to 1150 yards is all with the MK4. I still have a full revolution as well. I am just using the permanent weaver style leupold rings. THere the 30mm and there pretty beefy. In my opinion, if your shooting 1000 yards or more, then get the MK4 because you will run out of clicks on the vx2's, but if your shooting 700-800 yards, I love the vx2 6-18 target, fine duplex for half the money. Whatever you choose, its still a Leupold and you cant go wrong.

The VX3 target models actually have more elevation (90 MOA elvation and windage) vs. the Mark 4 (70 MOA windage and elevation on the 6.5-20 and 75 MOA elevation and 70 windage on the 8.5-25).

Either one will hold up fine on the 300 RUM. As far as glass goes, I don't think you will notice any difference. The Mark 4 is just a little tougher and looks cooler!!!

If you have any questions email me;

[email protected]

Thanks,
B.J.

Bill,

I think I will settle on the VX111 with Varmint Hunter reticle as I really like that reticle (have this scope on my .243) I find it easy to understand and use, I like the wind reference points and I figure that my rifle will not see military type abuse but rather just driving around in my ute spotlighting etc. so the VX111 should be rugged enough, I have a Bader 20 moa base and badger rings on the way for it as well.

I have just gone down and got a 6.5-20x50 MK 4 with mil dot......................I hope the 6.5-20 is enough magnification for the .300 RUM thats my only concern, and also that mild dots seem a lot more complicated than the varmint hunter reticle. I hope I have made a good choice and that it is as good as the VX 111 8.5-25 varmint hunter I have on my .243.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.