Leupold Varmint Hunter's Reticle

mudbug

Does anyone use the Varmint Hunter's reticle for windage holds? I am thinking of having it installed in my VX-III 6.5-20 x 40 and would like some opinions. I know that the lines for windage aren't evenly spaced as in 2 MOA increments but Leupold says they subtend about 1.8, 3.5, and 5.3 MOA if my memory serves me correct.

Thanks,

Mudbug

Yes, i also use the VH reticle and love it. I'm a believer in tree reticle systems for long-range shooting and hunting. But i rarely go with the system as calibrated. I find out what the subtensions are of each stadia point and match it to a ballistics program. My VH reticle is in a 4.5-14x VX-III, and it's on a Savage Striker pistol in 243 WSSM shooting the 115 Bergers/DTACs at around 2525 mv, so the trajectory, both horizontal and vertical, doesn't even come close to an intuitive system (hundred yd. intervals as they advertise). My windage is almost exactly 1/2 of the calibrated system, i.e. the 10 mph is closer to 20 mph with the VLD's i shoot.

1 thing i was never crazy about with the VH in the 6.5-20 is that the reticle is cald. for a power lower than the highest, and i always like to use the optic's highest power for LR shooting. It would be easy enuf to measure the reticle at 20x, but it won't give u the range of trajectory compensation that it has at the lower calibrated power. This is really not that big of a problem since u could also get the optic with an elevation turret, and use the reticle to it's limit then the turret for further ranges.

Oh yeah, 1 last thing--the windage subtensions at the reticle's calibrated power according to my catalog is 1.77 MOA along the horizontal axis for each stadia line, 2.86 for the 1st line down, 4.09, and 5.49 respectively, obviously 2x that for the 20 mph dots.

Last edited:
Why not go with a mil dot and turrets? Then you have the best of both worlds and not locked into 1 load or caliber? I find with the mil dot I can print out a program for mils in both hold over and wind no matter the yards and if I have time to dial then powder setting means nothing with the turrets! I have found this system to be the most versitile of them all.

A friend mounted a leupold w varmint rec on a 6.5 -284 and the windage for that was off quite a little, so he was going to try my recommendation.

I love the VH reticle also, I have a vx-iii 6.5-20x50mmLR. I also use the Sierra ballistics program to calibrate my loads to the crosshairs. A mil-dot scope is also an option, I have both.

I love the VH reticle also, I have a vx-iii 6.5-20x50mmLR. I also use the Sierra ballistics program to calibrate my loads to the crosshairs. A mil-dot scope is also an option, I have both.

I am a fan of the Varmint H. reticle, i got it on my Leup. VXIII 8,5-25x50 (on my Sako75 .270WSM), but i'm thinking to switch the VXIII on the Remington Police .308 .... and the Sako will be with a new Leupold VX-L 6,5-20x56 .... Varmint Hunters reticle ... of course !

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.