Minimum foot pounds/velocity

Arrows kill game differently than bullets so comparing them is pointless. A broadhead is streamlined razor sharp and designed to cut easily thru it's target. The few ft/lbs of an arrow has is used to push the broadhead, it does not use it's energy to expand like a bullet.

I absolutely agree! I've never seen a whitetail drop on the spot after I place an arrow perfectly in the vitals. That's one reason why I don't prefer archery season (I hate knowing that even a perfect shot results in that poor deer running 30+ yards before dropping).

Your mileage may vary, but I've never had a deer drop in fewer than 30 yards of running for its life. I've even seen other guys' expandable broad heads do some pretty good damage, and the deer still aren't DRT.

Let's attempt to put ft/lbs energy into perspective on American game animals.

The following is assuming chest shots and not CNS shots!

I think that the majority of us, would consider a 22 Hornet (100 yard energy approx. 400 ft/lb), inadequate as a Pronghorn (average adult buck weight- 120 pounds) cartridge.While most would consider the 30-06 (100 yard energy approx. 2500 ft/lbs) perfectly adequate for elk (average adult bull elk - 700 pounds).

If ft/lbs of energy is a primary consideration.....logic suggests that the 30-06 would be inadequate for elk.

22 Hornet vs. Pronghorn - 3.3 ft/lbs energy per pound of Pronghorn

30-06 vs. Elk - 3.5 ft/lbs energy per pound of elk

Of course, the .2 ft/lbs energy difference may give the 30-06 far superior "killing power"! ;) memtb

Consider a broad head arrow with a 1" + blade width. Big game has been and continues to be routinely taken with this size for at least 5,000 years. Energy of 750 gr arrow at 90-100 is almost trivial compared to most rifle bullets.

Broadheads kill via a very different mechanism than bullets so your comparison isn't valid. You would have to use a field tip for an equal comparison.

[QUOTE="Stgraves260, post: 1692460, member: 19988]The last I read about them they said 1600 FPS on The LRA and I have never looked up the Cutting Edge Bullets.
https://shop.nosler.com/nosler-bullets/accubond-long-range-nosler-bullet.html
Nosler advertises it on their website. Maybe that is only some diameter/weights and not all, or maybe a marketing thing like "If you smash them into a brick wall...they will expand!".:D Just kidding, they wouldn't obviously tell you about the brick wall.
Cutting Edge has each of its Lazers minimum velocities listed when you click on that particular bullet's description. Some of the .30's say down to 1200 fps and some say 1500!fps, same thing with the .375 cal offerings. Actually kind of weird to me.
Looks like your .260 is really getting the job done.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for sharing the info. Yes sir my 260 has surprised me many times. I almost got a 264 WIN MAG before I bought my 260. I'm really glad I didn't. Man the story's my 260 could tell if it could talk. When I popped this hog at 997 yards, one of the guys I was hunting with had a 300 Weatherby Mag and was shooting 150 grain factory loads. I don't know how many rounds he sent. LoL. He was telling me that it didn't make any sense. He was doing the hold over methods. LoL!!! He had this really nice $5,000 Swarovskis scope. At least that how much he said it was. I told him his scope cost more than my hole gun and you can't hit a hog at 1000 yards. LoL we were all having fun that weekend. When I do my part my 260 has never let me down. There is no way I can tell you how many animals I have taken with it. Some at crazy distances. I have this little saying I tell people at work and at home. " The hardest person to prove wrong is yourself " I use this in life. So does my kids. When my daughter asked me what does it mean, I told her you can not lie to yourself noire can you hide anything from yourself. You will all ways know the truth. So on the subject of my 260 I keep trying to prove it wrong and I'm failing miserably cause it just keeps killing everything I hunt.

Last edited:
My Ft-Lbs energy I posted on here was to break bones on animals. White tail deer for instance. 600 Ft-Lbs energy recommended because that's what it takes to break the shoulder and penetrate it to get to the vitals. Now can 400 Ft-Lbs kill a deer or even 200 Ft-Lbs? Yes it can. IF the bullet does not hit bone. I will never knowingly take a chance make a animal suffer because less than enough Ft-Lbs energy for a clean kill. I'm sure we have all made a shot at an animal and right after we pull the trigger, the animal steps forward and the bullet didn't go where you wanted it to. Can my 260 drop a deer over 1000 yards? Yes it can. 1250 yards at 1600 ft above sea level. If the wind is calm, I'll take the shot. In a 30 MPH wind? Heck no. Would not even thank about it. I would close the gap. (( Know your gun, Know your target, Know your limits. ))

Last edited:
Let's attempt to put ft/lbs energy into perspective on American game animals.

The following is assuming chest shots and not CNS shots!

I think that the majority of us, would consider a 22 Hornet (100 yard energy approx. 400 ft/lb), inadequate as a Pronghorn (average adult buck weight- 120 pounds) cartridge.While most would consider the 30-06 (100 yard energy approx. 2500 ft/lbs) perfectly adequate for elk (average adult bull elk - 700 pounds).

If ft/lbs of energy is a primary consideration.....logic suggests that the 30-06 would be inadequate for elk.

22 Hornet vs. Pronghorn - 3.3 ft/lbs energy per pound of Pronghorn

30-06 vs. Elk - 3.5 ft/lbs energy per pound of elk

Of course, the .2 ft/lbs energy difference may give the 30-06 far superior "killing power"! ;) memtb
22 Hornet, man that brings back memory's. I killed my first doe with that. Broadside shots, neck shots, head shots it got the job done. That call gun showed me a lot. It taught me that at 150 yards it can take a deer, Broadside IF it does not hit bone. It also showed me it can take a deer around 130 yards when facing me and duck at the last second. It wasn't pretty. Head shot. It went right through the skull. I was around 9 or 10 years old when this happened. I cried like a baby. It was a hard lesson learned. I never forgot how it made me feel and I never wanted to feel that way again. Pop was telling me that's why you need to know your rifle and know your target. Know that once you pull that trigger you can't take it back. I also learned that the skull is no where near as thick as the Shoulder bone. I know now around 300 ft-lbs energy can Penetrate the skull on a deer but not the shoulder. The shoulder is probably 10x more thicker. That's why I developed my own Theory on energy and it has work for me over the past 35+ years.

Nice video of power/energy illustration by an LRH member ...

Power perceived is power achieved! Or backwards if you've ever watched The Substitute with Tom Berenger. That's a cool cartridge, basically took the .50 B&M and run it through an AR10 platform, like the Beowulf's bigger brother. Just change it enough to say it's yours. Like my rifle's .510 cartridge based off the RUM case, little too big for an AR but fits my Savage nicely.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.