Minimizing scope height on Howa 1500 short action

MontanaJack

I'm setting up a Howa 1500 short action in 6.5 Creedmoor for my grandkids first big game hunting rifle. I mounted a Nightforce SHV 5-20X56 scope using a picatinny rail and EGW 30mm rings (0.84"). The scope is too high for the kids. Unfortunately, not many of the listings for scope rings provide useful dimensional data. With the picatinny system, the objective end of the scope is 0.217" off the barrel at the objective lens. I'd like to mount it lower to reduce height 3/16" or so. I checked out the Talley website, but they don't list any single piece direct mount rings for the Howa 1500. Any suggestions? Thank you!!

I'm setting up a Howa 1500 short action in 6.5 Creedmoor for my grandkids first big game hunting rifle. I mounted a Nightforce SHV 5-20X56 scope using a picatinny rail and EGW 30mm rings (0.84"). The scope is too high for the kids. Unfortunately, not many of the listings for scope rings provide useful dimensional data. With the picatinny system, the objective end of the scope is 0.217" off the barrel at the objective lens. I'd like to mount it lower to reduce height 3/16" or so. I checked out the Talley website, but they don't list any single piece direct mount rings for the Howa 1500. Any suggestions? Thank you!!

Have you considered building up their cheek weld? For your consideration >>> https://www.beartooth-products.com/...riser/products/comb-raising-kit-no-loop-black

Google "Meadows Industries" and look at their comb buildup solutions. Trap shooters use their products to increase the comb for increase POI, but will work to build combs on a rifle as well.

Reporting back to the group..... Went back to the Talley website, did another search and found Howa. It appears that Remington Model 700 mounts fit the Howa 1500 and Weatherby Vanguard. My apologies to Talley, they do provide height data and so does Midway for the Talley mounts. The Talley medium 30mm rings appear to accomplish my goal of lowering the scope while still providing clearance between the barrel and the bottom of the scope objective lens. I won't receive the order for almost 2 weeks. So, I'll update the thread with a final report after mounting.

Thanks for the link! Still hoping someone has collected some height data. Seems like mount & ring selection is a trial and error process.

Taking down your current scope clearance from .2170" to 3/16" (.1875") is only .0295" difference. Do you think that is going to make a significant difference for the kids to be able to see? The comb raising kit I provided you can raise as little as .125" up to 1.5".

Good luck!

Thank you for the suggestions. I ordered a kit to raise the comb height. I also ordered Talley one piece mounts that will lower the scope, leaving about 0.020" clearance. Hopefully, this won't to too tight. FYI, this Howa 1500, 6.5 Creedmoor is amazing for a $600 rifle. I'm getting 0.27" 3 shot groups at 100 yards using 135 gr Berger Classic Hunter seated to recommended OAL using 43.0 gr H4350 with a CCI 200 large rifle primer. My thanks to Berger. I put a question on their website. Within 2 hours one of their balisticians called me and provided an informative history of Berger's experience with the 6.5 Creedmoor with magazines too short to minimize jump to the barrel lands and provided solid, effective recommendations from their product line. Thank you for the support of this forum, Berger, Midway, and Talley. This is an awesome sport!! Let's protect and preserve the 2nd Amendment!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.