milling out a rifle chassis

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by DUSTY NOGGIN, Jun 21, 2018.

1. DUSTY NOGGIN

DUSTY NOGGIN Well-Known Member

thought id post some pictures of a project i been working on , i really like the idea of the aluminum chassis systems for rigidity the only turnoff really is the expense, so i decided i would try and build my own even if it ends up in the scrap trailer, i was not in a hurry at all and had plenty of time to wait for the perfect donor 700 rifle, i finally found one that wasn't listed very well in the classifieds and wasn't receiving very many views because it was a gun lot ( 1 target 22lr pistol one marlin tube feed 22lr & 1 rifle remington 700 ) . The 700 came as a 7mm Remington magnum blued action looks like an older Timney trigger on it , my plan is for a 300 win mag long enough to shoot the heavy bullets -- i took measurements from the inletting from an sendero stock so there may be some unneeded relief cuts in the inletting , but eventually i got the clearances all figured out and the receiver channel ... i picked up an milling machine from the classifieds , which came with an assortment of end mils & fly cutters and stuff , the machine was very used with a lot of backlash . the mill was a cheap way to accomplish my goals , but keep in mind i have never ran a milling machine ever in my life .. started with a couple blocks of 6061 an aics magazine 3.785 length , and ordered a remage barrel 300 win mag 30" stainless match chamber , throated long for the 215& 230s

here is where im at so far ,

Douglas.gun.guy likes this.
  2. DUSTY NOGGIN

the stock and rear mount

Attached Files:

3. DUSTY NOGGIN

trigger gaurd and some mag well

Attached Files:

4. DUSTY NOGGIN

receiver inletting

Attached Files:

5. BUSTINDOGS

BUSTINDOGS Well-Known Member

that's pretty good for never running a mill before, you must have a decent mentor?

6. DUSTY NOGGIN

thanks . i have been working on function , later to make it better looking on outside , but need the barrel to show up to make it look like it matches -- youtube is the mentor

Attached Files:

7. DUSTY NOGGIN

so i build a few things for this since last post .
    -- it now has a rear pic rail at rear butt stock so accept a home made monopod which i'll show later , the mono pod looks kinda hokie but functions better than it looks , so im happy

-- there's not a huge need for a barricade stop on this type of rifle but one ended up there due to forearm fastener thread share the same metal ,

did a little metal thinning / body lines / art work to get this tank cough : cough ,weight down ;)

- i picked up another magpul moe polymer pic rail for the forearm which will fit a store bought bipod , i just want to wait to see how the barrel fits in order to match the forearm look and bidpod placement ( an mdt lss chassis seems to almost balance the whole rifle weight with a 28" heavy barrel ) and i would like to place it a little father forward , but wont know where to balance the weight until the barrel is in place

i probably wont weigh this pig until its pretty well trimmed everywhere i dare to trim

8. DUSTY NOGGIN

heres where this project is right now,
    needs paint but not until i get all bugs and sharp corners worked out. i need to get some loads going for it , havent even measure max seating length , if i can get the weight down ANY more i will trim . but it would shoot right now -- archery season is on the front door so the finishing of this project is going to have to wait ,

-- ptg extreme rem700ss action blprnted w/ trigger , tear bolt knob
    -- Northland shooters -- remage nut -- stainless match barrel ,MTU controur 28", chambered 300wm match , long neck for 230 vlds , (shoulda got liftgate delivery!)
    -- i put a 9" atlas bypod on the forearm , cause it was really hard to keep steady when i had it on the butt pad (whodathunk)
    -- magpul qd type 1 - attachment points ( socket type cups ) ,for sling still need one for the left side - 2 on forearm one in front and one behind the bipod for sling clearance -
    -- magpul , pic rail mounts - 2-1/2 in for but stock & 5" for forearm
    -- magpul ms4 QDM sling
    -- dnz one piece scope mount , 20 moa , high mount ( giveS about 2/10" clearance ; thumbs up )
    -- Vortex pst gen3 ffp
    -- anti cant vortex 30 mm -- lo pro bubblevel
    -- 14" length of pull , fit for prone feels nice
    -- Limbsaver recoil pad ,
    -- cheek riser , trimmed to match my cheek bone and added a little indent for forward and backward consistency -- lines up perfect

Attached Files:

9. DUSTY NOGGIN

couple more pics

Attached Files:

10. DUSTY NOGGIN

oh ya -- its a tank :(

with everything on it , including the shine

19 lbs !!!!!!!!!!

11. Farmerboy78

Farmerboy78 Well-Known Member

is that an adjustable cheekpiece?

12. DUSTY NOGGIN

it doesnt , just adjust by turning -- you could remove and add shims

it does have threaded holes about every 1/4" --it can only go 1/2 " more forward before it would lock the bolt in -- but could go rearward father than any scope relief

the height matches me. so if it needed to be higher, spacers would have to be added , the screws are long enough you could lift up another 3/8" or so before you would have to get longer screws

Farmerboy78 likes this.