milling out a rifle chassis

DUSTY NOGGIN

thought id post some pictures of a project i been working on , i really like the idea of the aluminum chassis systems for rigidity the only turnoff really is the expense, so i decided i would try and build my own even if it ends up in the scrap trailer, i was not in a hurry at all and had plenty of time to wait for the perfect donor 700 rifle, i finally found one that wasn't listed very well in the classifieds and wasn't receiving very many views because it was a gun lot ( 1 target 22lr pistol one marlin tube feed 22lr & 1 rifle remington 700 ) . The 700 came as a 7mm Remington magnum blued action looks like an older Timney trigger on it , my plan is for a 300 win mag long enough to shoot the heavy bullets -- i took measurements from the inletting from an sendero stock so there may be some unneeded relief cuts in the inletting , but eventually i got the clearances all figured out and the receiver channel ... i picked up an milling machine from the classifieds , which came with an assortment of end mils & fly cutters and stuff , the machine was very used with a lot of backlash . the mill was a cheap way to accomplish my goals , but keep in mind i have never ran a milling machine ever in my life .. started with a couple blocks of 6061 an aics magazine 3.785 length , and ordered a remage barrel 300 win mag 30" stainless match chamber , throated long for the 215& 230s

here is where im at so far ,

the stock and rear mount

Attachments

• IMAG4270.jpg
    IMAG4270.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 251
  • IMAG4273.jpg
    IMAG4273.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 246
  • IMAG4274.jpg
    IMAG4274.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 256
  • IMAG4146.jpg
    IMAG4146.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 237
that's pretty good for never running a mill before, you must have a decent mentor?
thanks . i have been working on function , later to make it better looking on outside , but need the barrel to show up to make it look like it matches -- youtube is the mentor

Attachments

• IMAG3987.jpg
    IMAG3987.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 159
  • IMAG3988.jpg
    IMAG3988.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMAG3989.jpg
    IMAG3989.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMAG4031.jpg
    IMAG4031.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 153
so i build a few things for this since last post .
-- it now has a rear pic rail at rear butt stock so accept a home made monopod which i'll show later , the mono pod looks kinda hokie but functions better than it looks , so im happy

-- there's not a huge need for a barricade stop on this type of rifle but one ended up there due to forearm fastener thread share the same metal ,

did a little metal thinning / body lines / art work to get this tank cough : cough ,weight down ;)

- i picked up another magpul moe polymer pic rail for the forearm which will fit a store bought bipod , i just want to wait to see how the barrel fits in order to match the forearm look and bidpod placement ( an mdt lss chassis seems to almost balance the whole rifle weight with a 28" heavy barrel ) and i would like to place it a little father forward , but wont know where to balance the weight until the barrel is in place

i probably wont weigh this pig until its pretty well trimmed everywhere i dare to trim

heres where this project is right now,
needs paint but not until i get all bugs and sharp corners worked out. i need to get some loads going for it , havent even measure max seating length , if i can get the weight down ANY more i will trim . but it would shoot right now -- archery season is on the front door so the finishing of this project is going to have to wait ,

-- ptg extreme rem700ss action blprnted w/ trigger , tear bolt knob
-- Northland shooters -- remage nut -- stainless match barrel ,MTU controur 28", chambered 300wm match , long neck for 230 vlds , (shoulda got liftgate delivery!)
-- i put a 9" atlas bypod on the forearm , cause it was really hard to keep steady when i had it on the butt pad (whodathunk)
-- magpul qd type 1 - attachment points ( socket type cups ) ,for sling still need one for the left side - 2 on forearm one in front and one behind the bipod for sling clearance -
-- magpul , pic rail mounts - 2-1/2 in for but stock & 5" for forearm
-- magpul ms4 QDM sling
-- dnz one piece scope mount , 20 moa , high mount ( giveS about 2/10" clearance ; thumbs up )
-- Vortex pst gen3 ffp
-- anti cant vortex 30 mm -- lo pro bubblevel
-- 14" length of pull , fit for prone feels nice
-- Limbsaver recoil pad ,
-- cheek riser , trimmed to match my cheek bone and added a little indent for forward and backward consistency -- lines up perfect

Attachments

• 20180811_070930.jpg
    20180811_070930.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 165
  • 20180811_071053.jpg
    20180811_071053.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 159
  • 20180811_071040.jpg
    20180811_071040.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 161
is that an adjustable cheekpiece?
it doesnt , just adjust by turning -- you could remove and add shims

it does have threaded holes about every 1/4" --it can only go 1/2 " more forward before it would lock the bolt in -- but could go rearward father than any scope relief

the height matches me. so if it needed to be higher, spacers would have to be added , the screws are long enough you could lift up another 3/8" or so before you would have to get longer screws

started getting cratering and flatter primers at last 2 charge weights 76.8 & 77 .

speed test . 300 win mag, 230 grain berger , new norma brass
25 charge weights between 72.2 to 77 grains retumbo ....

error #1 on the first shot the bayonet was too low to read
error #25 bayonet slide forward on barrel enough to not read

300wm speed test.GIF

seems to be shooting very good so far , was hitting 400 yard gong while doing speed test

hodgdon data start load should be 2520 velocity
my gun started at 2660
hodgdon data maximum load velocity should be 2714
my gun ended at 2856
hodgdon test barrel 24" -- my barrel 28'
hodggdon test coal 3.395
my coal 3.610

quickload anyone?? to give ideas of pressure ,

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.