Millett lrs-1. .1mil click/newbie questions

LRHUNTER1320

Hello to all and thanks for any info you might have. I have searched and searched. I have learned alot...I think. Looking for info and confirmation.

Wby Mark V Accumark 300 wby mag. Factory ammo for now. Never reloaded ammo before.

I have a flat base. Millett lrs 1 came with medium rings. Would it be worth the $60 for the low milletts rings to lower the scope .17"? or $150 for the Seekins {or other brand, chime in} rings to get it lower than the millett low rings? I have 1/2" to go to get the bottom of the objective to the barrel.

Not up to par on the longrange terminology either. The manual that came with the scope is worthless. I pulled up the real lrs maunal on the ipad last night and learned that 12.5x zoom makes the mil dots one mil or at 25x its 1/2 mil. Is that for range estimating and hold over?

I have never had adjustable turrets before. Only a 3-9x40 bushnell from walmart. I have a lot to learn and any info on this scope or mils in general feel free to chime in. I have read that a mil is 3.6" at 100 yrds {my scope is in .1mil or 10 clicks to the mil.} and 36" at 1000 yrds. I purchased mils over 1/4 moa as it seemed easier for my brain to learn. Decimals over fractions seemed easier.

I'm so new to it I'm almost scared to adjust the turrets. I have clicked them back and forthe about 3 clicks just to feel the clicks. They seem audible and good and firm. Turrets locks work well also. Paralax adj. is nice and smooth from 15 yrds to infinity. Illuminatded retical seems ok to. Nothing to compare it to.

Correct me if im wrong on any of this please. The paralax is the focus at differnet ranges and the eyepiece focus is to focus the reticle?

I am familar with bore sighting and zeroing scopes on 22's and my 308. Familiar, not wise. I want to be able to shoot 800 yrds with this gun by the fall deer season. I have taken deer out to 400 yrds with my Rem 700 sps tactical and bushnell hoding over just guessing and had good POI.

So anyone can chime in with experience in these areas. I have so many questions I cant get them all in this post. I will ask them in the correct order depending on your responses.

I will be hunting on flat ground. No elevation to adjust for, only wind and I learn better if one thing at a time.

Lets start with:" how to work a scope, ballistics to expect from the 300 wby mag on 180 gr. hornady custom {came with the gun} and then move into mils versus range and wind compenstaion.

Again, I am excited about shooting long range but nearly ignorant in this subject. I've been reading threads here for a month now of and on when I can
One more thing, Weatherby wants me to mail my gun to someone {cant remeber who} to have a weatherby muzzlebrake installed. Is there other options at custom shops with better brakes. newbie newbie newbie. Sorry.

Thanks thanks thanks again and God bless.

paragraph 1-

I bought 2 sets of the millet lows for less than one set of "higher end" rings. I use 3 rings on my scope. some would say pay more but these things seem real nice beefee too

para 2-

the 12.5 vs 25 is a product of being a 2nd plane reticle. most 2nd plane scopes dont have the benefit of having full mil and half and yes it does help with ranging. I was able to use it to accurately range a deer at 1440.

para 3-

most on here would agree that moa to moa or mil to mil is easier than mix and match

para 4-

dont be afraid to adjust. the scope hase come up hash marks so it is easy to return to 0. with all parallax even highend scopes do not trust the yrd marks (many just have hash marks) this is not a focus knob to tell if parallax is set right while looking threw the scope move your head back and forth to see if the cross hairs move , adjust until they dont. most scope complaints and problems with 0 stem either from this or mounting

para5-

no see above

para 6,7,8,9-

find ammo that shoots good and practice. use a ballistic computer to get close than build your own dope card. I site for MPB which is around 27 to 37 yrds depending on load and scope height. this makes 0 again at 250 to 300 yrds ( 300 on most of my guns) and 1 mil high at 100 ( aballistic computer can help you with this)

Para 10

almost any good gunsmith will install a break. you can order many types on line most here seem to like Viase and Mussle breaks

Hope this helpsgun)

Welcome aboard. + 1 on LOAD post.
I have a lrs-1 4x16 30mm on 2- 338wm's and it has held great. One gun without a brake and the other with. The brake I have is a KDF it really tames the beast down for range sessions. For my unbraked 338wm I'm going to order a brake from "muzzlebrakes and more" and have local gunsmith install. Others have spoke highly of them and very reasonably priced. Do a search here on "Ross Schuler brakes" to read threads about them. Zame with the "Pain killer" brakes.
About turning Turrets, just make sure your locking ring is loose before adj. Turrets are for... Turning:D. Mine always return to zero. The rings I've used are the Weaver 4 screw tactical. And If the low will work I'd get the scope as close to the bore as possible.
I'd start to put some money aside for reloading equipment next. Factory WBY rounds and affordable just doesn't happen. Practicing, learning the scope and gun out to your 7-800 yds is going to easily add up to more than a brand new reloading starter kit. Or find a buddy that does load and have him teach ya and load with him.

Gene

Thanks for the replys load and Gene. I really apprectiate it. Once I get some lower rings I will finish mounting and begin to play with the scope a little. I feel I'm going to need a brake so thanks for the options. I will begin my brake research. I do have a friend with the same gun and a leupold scope and he is very interested in reloading. I'll talk to him about splitting the cost maybe and going in. Thats down the road though after I learn how to shoot long range.

Next question is, the scope came "zeroed" so does that mean if the scope has 140 moa of elevation adjustment I only have 70 up and 70 down therefore needing and canted base to gain some more elevation from the scope? Not a problem if so. Just need to know before I get more rings so I can still get it as close to the barell as possible.

Or do I even need more MOA of adjustment? 1000 yrds max for my shooting ability at this point. But I do want to progress into maybe further shots and really like to get the right base and rings the first time before I loctite it all together.

Thaks again for the replys.

LRHUNTER1320.

Midway has a LEE reloading starter kit on sale for $100 bucks pretty much all you need except dies. I seen it today in thier email flier. You might as well get a 20 moa base and be done with it. I just picked up one (EGW $42) from online for same price as 0 moa. So why not.

Good luck,
Gene

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys load and Gene. I really apprectiate it. Once I get some lower rings I will finish mounting and begin to play with the scope a little. I feel I'm going to need a brake so thanks for the options. I will begin my brake research. I do have a friend with the same gun and a leupold scope and he is very interested in reloading. I'll talk to him about splitting the cost maybe and going in. Thats down the road though after I learn how to shoot long range.

Next question is, the scope came "zeroed" so does that mean if the scope has 140 moa of elevation adjustment I only have 70 up and 70 down therefore needing and canted base to gain some more elevation from the scope? Not a problem if so. Just need to know before I get more rings so I can still get it as close to the barell as possible.

Or do I even need more MOA of adjustment? 1000 yrds max for my shooting ability at this point. But I do want to progress into maybe further shots and really like to get the right base and rings the first time before I loctite it all together.

Thaks again for the replys.

LRHUNTER1320.
some scopes are set in the middle (or less) for vertical travel when "0" not with my lrs-1 (cant say for all of them) with out a 20 moa rail it was around 100 (120 with)of vertical AFTER sited to 35 yrds (mpb) to 0 at 100 it would have slightly more. Jon Plaster designed this scope for LONG range and it has the travel to show it

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts