Mill Power Lift Motor

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
We have a Grizzly G0759 with DRO and modifying with Power Feed and Power Lift. Grizzly has a Power Feed unit, which is OK (their brand) and the Power Lift they sell is Made by "Priest". The unit itself is very inexpressively made and under powdered for a lot of $$$. I install the unit today and the 12v DC motor worked, but the gear box did not. Going to send back to Grizzly for a refund.
The whole reason I purchased these power feed units was to cut back on time from designing and making my own power units and could just "Bolt On".
The Power Lift Unit is totally unacceptable (the 12v motor is only about a half dollar in diameter and 1 1/2" long).so I now need to manufacture my own. I figured that maybe someone on LRH has already made a Power Lift and has some information. I will most likely get a Stepper Motor, Gear reduction Box, and a Controller for AC to DC and variable speed Forward/Reverse.
AYNONE make their own Power Lift Unit for a Mill?????????
I just need an idea for motor, controller and gear reduction box. I can fabricate the mounts.
Thanks Much
Len & Jill

Surprised no other Gunsmith have responded. I guess a lot of GS have very good Mills already equipped with Power Feed, Power Lift, DRO's and most likely CNC Mills. I am probably going to fabricate a Power Lift for the G0759/G0704 Grizzly GS Mill myself if someone already has not done so. I was going to modify the G0759 into a CNC, but already having the DRO didn't make sense and I wanted the capability to also do manual work. I already have plans in my head for a unit better than Grizzly offers, but would like it if someone already did design one and have the info.
I need to order the parts by Monday so if anyone has already made a Power Lift please let us know!
Thanks
Len

Last edited:
I've got the same Priest Tools power lift on a Precision Matthews PM-30MV which has a head that weighs more than the mill you have and it's been working fine for 2+ years. Now if you have your gibs set too tight or have the lock screws tightened down, then no it is going to overcome that.

CNC mills have 'ball screws'. Takes less power to move the table and they are accurate. CNC knee mills have the capability to be operated manually, but, who would want to?(I know this from my machine shop experience) Most gunsmiths still have and use manual, Bridgeport style vertical milling machines. No real need for CNC unless you are doing repetitive work. Ya', they are nice, but...... In my world, gunsmithing is "one-off". I would not build a power knee lift, I would just buy one. there are numerous makes and models available. One made for the Z axis will have more ft lbs of 'drive' than one designed for the table. I have operated vertical mills with a power Z. All I ever used it for was the rapid traverse feature to raise/lower the table. The CNC vertical mills I have been around and operated had power Z on the quill, not the table. Had DRO on the manual raise/lower so height could be returned or moved to a specific place.

I've got the same Priest Tools power lift on a Precision Matthews PM-30MV which has a head that weighs more than the mill you have and it's been working fine for 2+ years. Now if you have your gibs set too tight or have the lock screws tightened down, then no it is going to overcome that.
Thanks
Grizzly sent me the Priest Power Lift Kit & instructions for a G0759. I tried the motor and control before I installed everything and the motor started to run with the gear box making a noise in one direction. Switched to the other direction and the motor worked, but the spindle did not turn. Tried to install everything and some screws were missing along with everything not mating up correctly on the assembly plate. Finially assembled it and turned the power on. Motor worked, but the gearbox did not turn. Going to send back to Grizzly tomorrow. I looked up the parts from suppliers on the internet and the motor/gearbox, power converter, coupling, and control switch cost about $140. Going to see about getting a larger motor and gear box.