Savage Bolt Lift/Cocking Issue

CaptnC

I just replaced the pretty much the entire bolt on my 110 264wm build.

It started it's life as a early model 270win LA flat back. So to upgrade the bolt to handle the mag cartridge the bolt head had to be replaced, well then I found the firing pin is larger, so a new firing had to be ordered...while I was buying parts I decided to buy all the small parts for the bolt head and the sleeve the firing pin goes through.

So now I have a new firing pin, new Sharp Shooter bolt sleeve and new mag bolt head including all the extractor and ejector parts. Everything went together smoothly...to be honest I didn't measure the length of the assembled firing pin/spring so it could be a bit long.

Any way when I dry fire the gun I can't lift the bolt. I did notice the bolt release is pushed down against the action. Once I partially remove the firing pin it comes up and I can open the bolt.

I plan to take it out of the Choate stock and see what all is moving cause the release to be pinned down.

Any instant tips on what I did wrong? I would imagine I'm not the first one this has happened to...

I pulled it out of the stock and nothing is binding the trigger assembly...so it has to be timing of the cocking piece.

Later today I may put the original bolt sleeve back on it and see if there is some kind of issue there.

I'm not getting a clear picture in my head of your problem.

How are you removing the firing pin with the bolt in the action, and without lifting the bolt?

You really need to get your firing pin adjusted correct before testing for function. It sounds as though it is out of adjustment enough to keep the cocking pin from reaching the detent at the end of the cocking ramp.

try with action out of stock. sounds like stock needs a bedding job if not bedded properly when you tighten rear action screw things will bind up

It still will not open after dry firing with it out of the stock.

I put the firing pin in the original bolt sleeve and the bolt will not lift and I have to back the "plug" out of the bolt and then the blot will lift and cocks.

I also put the bolt together in the fired position and the firing pin is just barely protruding the bolt face so the firing pin is way short.

How do you get the firing pin length correct?

Thanks guys...when I put the firing pin spring on the firing pin I screwed the cocking piece end on too far, so the overall length of the firing pin was too short, not too long like I was thinking.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.