Sticky Bolt Lift

I had an issue like that and found it was using mixed brass or brass that wasn't fire formed with my particular rifle. May need to full length resize dies.
I use full length does on all my handloads, never had a problem like this.
I also trim my cases ever time around to make sure my loads are as close to identical as I can.

Where does it stick? Bolt handle won't lift? Or bolt won't come back once the handle is raised? Might be insufficient primary extraction.
Shooter71,

I took it out this weekend and shoot down to 62 grains. It was sticky, but I paid attention to the lift vs. pull. It's the pull that sticks. I took off the scope and started playing with it and did notice when I lift the bolt and take my hand off the bolt and then pull, it will come back. If I just lift and pull the bolt will stick and not want to come back. What can be done to determine/fix the primary extraction?

I am reaching out there, but did you check the base/mount screws so they are not potruding too far into the chamber/bolt area, which could cause bolt and receiver problems?

I was having the same sort of problem with my 300WM and I finally broke down and bought a die from Larry Willis (larrywillis.com) that pretty much solved my problems. My cases would expand a few thousandths in diameter just above the belt and this would cause the cases to stick after firing. The die Mr Willis sells reduces the diameter of the case right up to the belt, an area my full length sizing die can't get to. Using this die as a final step during brass prep has completely eliminated stuck cases in my rifle.

If you can raise the handle all the way up, with no rearward movement of the bolt, you have insufficient primary extraction. Sizing the brass to fall out helps but isn't a fix. You need to retime the handle to the action. I tig them on and build up the cam on the handle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts