Mil-dot vs. Duplex

Goofycat

I am looking for a new scope in the 4-4.5 x 12-14 power range for shooting ground squirrels up to 300 yards. I have never owned a Mil-dot before and would like to know if there are any particular drawbacks to this type of reticle. I don't like fiddling with turrets every time I want to change range settings, hence my interest in the mil-dot setup. I have always used the duplex reticle in my scopes.

I know that Leupold makes the very nice Vari-III in 4.5 x 14, but is there a more reasonably priced scope that would fill the bill for the .222, and .22 rimfires I use. With the centerfires I usually shoot in the 100-200 yard ranges, but sometimes up to 300 yards, depending on the wind. The rimfires are usually used between 50 and 100 yards...sometimes a bit more. Any ideas?

Barry

Last edited:
I never used a mil dot reticle until last year. Now I use it all the time and it is really fun to shoot. If you are looking at a very nice reasonable mil dot scope, take a look at our Clearidge Ultra XP 4.5-14x40. You can see more at the following links.

Error Page
Clearidge Optics

Thanks, John. I just checked out the scope, but since it is new and since I have never heard of it, can you please tell me who makes the scope, where is it made, etc.? Nice price, but I need to know more about the instrument.

Last edited:
Barry,

In my opinion, they are made by one of the top optics manufacturers in the world. They are produced in Japan by Light Optical Works.

I like my Mueller 8X25 mildot. I guess 14X would be enough but I usually am up around 18X on mine to see really clearly. Good glass I hear makes all the difference so maybe lower power would work. I've used spotting scopes at the range that didn't work any better than the Mueller tho so?? Anyway Heres the link to my scope 8.5-25×44AO Tactical*•*Mueller Optics The size of the reticule doen't change at long distance so I can easily make out 1/4" marking pen lines @ 200 yards without them being covered by the cross hairs. Heres a review of mueller scopes: http://muelleroptics.com/downloads/docs/reviews/TacII.pdf

well one thing that is nice about mil dot scopes, i have one... bushnell elite 3200 10x40, is that being that i dial in the drops, and aim with the center of the reticle, i can use a dot or 2 as references on different targets so i know im aiming exactly ad the same spot every time, might not matter for you since you're gonna b hunting with it, but its something to think about, i've only used the mildots for holdover once, it worked fine, kinda cool cuz you're like wow im aiming so high lol.

The Leupold's are great scope and will do the job better than the other ones I will talk about but they will do the job. I'm a big believer in you pay for what you get.

I tested a Bushnell ELITE 3200 5-15x40mm Tactical Mil-Dot on a 223 and it worked well. The turrets have positive clicks but they have play in them, the main tube has a nice feel to it but it is a 1" tube, the obj is well marked but feel a little cheap, and the Mil-Dot reticle is a little on the thick side for me but the Bushnell Mil-Dot will do the job. Over all it was a nice scope for the PRICE. It was not robust enough for me to have it on that 223 for the 223 see some abuse so I put it on one of my 22 rifles.

Here it is on my CZ 452
P1040839-1.jpg

The Leupold MK2 are nice and fill better made.

Mil-Dot reticles are nice to have for holdovers. I use holdover for quick shoots and wind-age. For a lot of people the duplex will work just fine.

We have some used Leupold scopes in stock that are in very, very good condition.
USED 57180 VX-III 6.5-20x50mm Long Range Target Matte Varmint Hunters (NEW $879.99) Asking $680.00
USED 55152 VX-III 6.5-20x40mm EFR Target Matte Fine Duplex (NEW $669.99) Asking $500.00.

Here is a link to the used scopes:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f40/used-scopes-nightforce-leupold-35331/

Mike @ CSGW

I like Mill Dots and have 3 scopes that have Mill reticules. 2 S&B's with P-4 Fine Mill Line reticule and a US Optics with a Standard Mill Dot Reticule

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.