Mid-Life Reloading vs. Buying Ammo Crisis

One grand misconception is that reloads are always better than factory.
Sorry, I can't wrap my head around this statement at all.
Set a paint up at 1K and test your luck against someone who paid their dues on the reloading bench.

To the OP, we all have that line in the sand. We all have a tolerance or acceptance level too. Other than a .357 revolver I just had to have, I'll never load another pistol rd again, heck, I walk away from the brass today.
Good luck on your choices! But I wouldn't unload my gear yet. I think I have re-bought creedmoor dies 2 times(3 total), because I always end up helping some poor schmuck who needs one.

I'm keeping mine as I load for 22 Creedmoor, 6.5 SAUM, 7 SAUM, and a 358 wildcat (for public land deer hunting in IN). Not a lot of factory ammo there.

however, I've switched to factory ammo for my 6 and 6.5 creedmoors and my 223. As stated earlier, that Fiocchi 223 with the 50 grain vmax is awesome, and the accuracy I got with the Berger factory ammo for the 6 and 6.5 creeds made me put those dies away. I'm saving all the creed brass though, never know what will happen in the future!

Your welcome WY,,, I as agree with another post on this thread,,, if something becomes to much,,, then its time to change things...

I like reloading at the range since it gives me time to relax and enjoy the day...

I start off with 20 loaded rounds and build the rest as I go...

The hand press and all the fixings fit into a small carry bag,,, enough to make 500 rounds if I had to... Ha

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hYxUBXAzLCAE6tk3A

Like I mentioned in my earlier post,,, plan things out,,, keep if frugal and simple,,, slow life down,,, and enjoy the day...

Always bring lunch and coffee or drinks of choice... Make it a day thing at the range as you'll have time to visit with folks when they end up with free time...

Plan plan plan...

PS: I started with this rifle has in the summer,,, I'll keep loading and shooting it till Coyote season raps up this spring...
Then I'll switch to my next rifle...

One gun at a time,,, easier to stay on track this way.

Cheers from the North
That's pretty slick ! I need to heed your advice . I always take to many rifles with loads to check and never complete doing all. I'm rushing trying to. I'll remember what you said next time .
Thanks again !

You think if factory ammo moves this direction that they won't do the same to your reloading components? You are crazy...it will all become hard to get or regulated
Ahhh that's it, you can stock up enough to load thousands of rounds of ammo even on a budget. Bricks of primers, 100 boxes of good brass that will load 10 times a case, boxes of inexpensive hot cor bullets, powder is the most restricting factor but in large bottles it goes quite a ways also. You will runout eventually but long after most. Like I said firearms aren't worth much if they don't fire...

A few things... you come to a point where you need to find more opportunities to shoot and hunt vs buy more firearms, but reloading needs aren't so expensive, so either you like to reload for fun or need. That being said, I was only able to retire at 58 by being fiscally conservative, so my tools, while not the best, are enough to get the job done well. I have a friend that goes high end, but I can't. It'd be great if you're crisis is the worst thing going for you! cheers

I think way more than that if kept dry and not in extreme temps. I don't know for sure but I would guess 15 years or more before would degrade . I'm sure it would go pop long after that.
There are some powders, like VV N 500 series powder that oxidize over time if opened and sitting. H4831 known to get HOT if opened and sits, regardless of environment. Aren't there some IMR powders that do not take well to plastic cannisters compared to the old steel ones,? That crap lasted forever in steel.
Unopened powder in a controlled environment should last 20 yrs

I too still trying to figure out the factory load as good as a reload comment never shot a factory load that I couldn't beat with a reload
When was the last time you shot some premium factory ammo in your rifle? Most people that make a comment like you did have been shooting handloads for years and aren't willing to recognize how accurate the new premium factory ammo is...

I am not saying handloads are bad - because I am also in a phase of my life where I am super busy with my profession and family I am grateful how far factory ammunition has come. I shoot factory hornady match ammo out to 1250 all the time with excellent results and consistency.

When was the last time you shot some premium factory ammo in your rifle? Most people that make a comment like you did have been shooting handloads for years and aren't willing to recognize how accurate the new premium factory ammo is...
Ok I'm game I will give it a go name the ammo I will give it a honest try
If it wins it wins

There are some powders, like VV N 500 series powder that oxidize over time if opened and sitting. H4831 known to get HOT if opened and sits, regardless of environment. Aren't there some IMR powders that do not take well to plastic cannisters compared to the old steel ones,? That crap lasted forever in steel.
Unopened powder in a controlled environment should last 20 yrs
I've had IMR 4831 and IMR 4350 both in steel cans rust and turn steel to powder. 4350 about 10 years or so years old. The 4831 15 or so years old. Plastic much better.

Ok I'm game I will give it a go name the ammo I will give it a honest try
If it wins it wins
Hornady Match, Berger Match, or Federal Premium Match, Prime Ammo. Not sure what cartridge you have, but you should be able to find it in one of the above. I have guns that shoot all of those 1/2moa.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.