Mid-Life Reloading vs. Buying Ammo Crisis

With especially good hunting(in another state), I ran out of my reloads for my son's gun (which we were using). With this emergency, I stooped to buy factory ammo.
I bought 4 or 5 boxes of different brands somewhat close to my ammo specs.
With testing/re-zeroing, it turned out that one box was actually as good as my reloads.
In every respect the external ballistics matched.

Stunned(even to this day), I went out and bought every box of that lot of ammo from every source in a 100mi radius. Cost a fortune, we stopped hunting, and instead had a ball buying and validating that ammo on paper targets to 500yds.
So now my son has ~100boxes of good ammo + a final reload session of my ammo for his gun. I won't ever have to mess with that one again.
40yrs reloading(back then) and never imagined I would do anything like that.
But there is a new peace in something so simple. Just pulled plastic out of the wallet and had fun.

If I could do this with every gun I have, I would.
I would stop reloading.
Seriously I bet anybody can go pick up a couple different boxes of premium ammo - berger, hornady match, nosler, federal premium, and find one that shoots as well as your handloads (unless you are running a wildcat).

A lot of the guys that say there is no way factory ammo is as good as their reloads probably havent tried any factory ammo in 30 years.

Its really good now, even the cheap stuff. My son and I shot these groups the other day at 100 yards with our 223's. With the cheap factory fiocchi 50gr VMAX ammo. His is a factory 110 storm with a gen 1 pst. Mine started out as a cheap M700 Varmint ADL that I paid $350 for at dicks 12 years ago and upgraded the stock and the trigger. These guns will shoot this ammo in groups like this all day long. We've killed a lot of rabbits, woodchucks and prairie dogs with these set up. My son is only 12 yrs old BTW - so if he can shoot this well with factory ammo anybody can. I have seen some expensive varmint guns shooting pet loads that weren't as good as these. Also, I only pay $20 for a box of 50...tough to beat from a cost standpoint.

4EEC1392-15A4-4D74-B08C-9843E925AA9B.png
8FCCA732-27E5-48D1-B6BC-F995264DDFF1.png
2C0A2C08-26AF-495D-80BA-CA2B3C3573B1.jpeg

Last edited:
What was stunning to me is that the factory ammo that I hit on as shooting well was so near the crappiest ammo I'd ever seen (Remington, 223). At least on the surface.
But their cheap bullets are of same weight as my $BR$ bullets, and actually seated to my tested best CBTO. Same powder weight and type,, same primers(I took it apart to see). It's as though Remington had copied my logs!

And this is not a ~1moa 'good enough for hunting' gun. It's is a ragged hole, 1/4moa to 500yds on a calm morning gun.
I still cannot comprehend these results spitting out of assembly line machines. But apparently, karma has it that I needed some learning about factory ammo potential.

I recommend to my friends to check for this with their hunting guns -before pursuing reloading solutions.

Free your self up a bit and try to compress your shooting sports...

Pick 1 or 2 of your favorite cartridges and get at life by freeing up more of your time...

Your most likely bogged down with to much,,, once you find the freedom don't attempt to take on more...

If you like all your irons keep them,,, the easiest way to do this is shelf The ones you use the least... If you don't use it for 1 or more years then give them to your friends or family so they can join in on the good times... Its called gifting out that """could""" improve your all out quality of life...

Going frugal budget and simple will put your funds into the path you want to be on,,, take the time to plan out your path in life,,, and allow for change-ups along the way...

Just imagine your self with 1 rifle,,, what would you feel like,,, what would you do with the unlimited freedom of being able to shoot it at any distance with out looking a a chart since you know everything about its trajectory and it's ballistic path from point blank to distance...

Oh Yha,,, what a feeling when you can look at a target at XXX distance as you naturally draw a shoot...

One more thing to this freedom of fear,,, its wize to have a backup plan,,, just incase things go South,,, that way your not behind the game plan... Ha...

The old saying might be true,,, if you fail to plan your plan could fail...

The first thing you'll notices is the weigth off your shoulders,,, you'll enjoy the """Less is More.""" if you do it right...

There's nothing wrong with missing out on this or that,,, but you can always Grin from ear to ear looking back by saying to your self,,, been there done that...

Don't kid your self,,, I miss my 300's and 338'zzzs,,, but I make up for it by being happy with my limited medium size rifles that I have left...

I had 200+++ in my hay day,,, at least 50 of them on the go,,, now I'm middle aged and down to 3 when I found freedom,,, hopefully I'll make it 1 of 1 with a spare barrel on hand as a back-up... Ha...

The above is only a thought,,, freeing up your life,,, time,,, and funds is part of the Grand plan,,, finding what works for you is part of this plan...

Shelf some of your irons since it cost you nothing,,, don't over think it and keep it simple... Slow things down,,, take in the good stuff...

1 step at a time...

Cheers from the North
Amen to that brother . Thanks for posting that . Settled and relaxed me.

Your welcome WY,,, I sgree with another post on this thread,,, if something becomes to much,,, then its time to change things...

I like reloading at the range,,, it gives me time to relax and enjoy the day...

I start off with 20 loaded rounds then build the rest as I go...

The hand press and all the fixings fit into a small carry bag,,, enough to make 500 rounds if I had to... Ha

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hYxUBXAzLCAE6tk3A

Like I mentioned in my earlier post,,, plan things out,,, keep if frugal and simple,,, slow life down,,, and enjoy the day...

Always bring a lunch and coffee or drinks of choice... Make it a day thing as you'll have time to visit with folks when they end up with free time...

Plan plan plan...

PS: I started with this rifle this summer,,, I'll keep loading and shooting it till Coyote season raps up this spring...
Then I'll switch to my next rifle...

One gun at a time,,, easier to stay on track that way.

Cheers from the North

Last edited:
Even if I never break even, the ability to maximize ammo performance and not having to worry about unavailable factory ammo is with it to me.
Simple statement says it all, What if it gets hard or very regulated to get factory ammo? Guns aren't much good without ammo. You are very right that you won't get a decent return if you sell everything off, and I've learned one fact about life, the only true constant is that it never remains constant. Put it all away, and take a break, it will all be there when you want it later( and it sounds like you have very nice stuff). The only thing I would sell is that old used forester press ;) Dave

Two years ago I converted dollars to hours and cents into sense. I'm not the only one happier so is the treasurer! (maybe to keep her that way I should have capitalized that?)
Personally, I plan on shooting hunting, loading, making what I can't buy--or isn't made--in my little shop, collecting pens, and well, at least one other pastime, until I can't.

Geez..You guys are really quick to tell everyone else just what they ought to do!
Why don't you let everyone have the life they want NOT what YOU think they need?
If I don't want to..That's the END of it..I'm NOT!!.. regardless of your opinions!

No Ammo ..But bottles and bottles of powder..Sleeves of primers...All the high end bullets you want...Are you out of your minds!
X pounds of powder in a place you can't get a straw for your drink!
Do you want to buy a Bridge??

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.