Mid-Life Reloading vs. Buying Ammo Crisis

Braunschweiger

So... here I am... busy as heck like the rest of the world. I've spent thousands upon thousands on all my reloading equipment and consumables. Literally have spared no expense. You know what I'm talking about... Autotrickler v3 with all Area 419 upgrades, AMP Mk II Annealer, Giraud Trimmer, Forster Co-AX, Dillon XL 650, wet and dry tumbler... about 10 calibers I reload for.

At what point in your all's experience has it dawned that maybe the TIME investment (including the monetary investment) isn't worth it over buying ammo? Seems to be ALOT of great custom ammo shops out there. Even factory loads these days are great. All of my rifles are either custom or high end factory (AI, DT, LMT).

It's a snowball effect, I barely have any time to shoot as it is, and when I do have time, I am always reminded that, "Oh... I have to reload first" (I refuse to buy ammo since I have everything I need to reload)

I buy and sell all the time and about 90% of the time I'm taking a loss. So... as invested as I am I don't really want to sell it all piece by piece (headache) and still take a loss. Help. Anyone in the same boat?

Depends on how you define your "journey".

I have too much fun in trying to accomplish perfection, which I know will never happen. With that said, if you constantly tinker and experiment as I do than I don't see how having factory or custom ammo will fit your need?

One final thought. You either spend your money on reloading and etc which sounds like you really like or you spend it somewhere else on something you may not like as much...or someone else spends it on what they like. Lol.

Just my opinion.

I have been in that boat. Nothing wrong with shooting factory. Reloading components and equipment don't go bad, they'll be there when you have time. Even now I still shoot a lot of factory ammo for varmint/practice. I reload for hunting/long range, but only a few hundred rounds a year. I shoot thousands.

Have pretty good luck with Nosler ammo, federal gold match and hornady precision so haven't looked into the custom route.

url.jpg.jpg

So... here I am... busy as heck like the rest of the world. I've spent thousands upon thousands on all my reloading equipment and consumables. Literally have spared no expense. You know what I'm talking about... Autotrickler v3 with all Area 419 upgrades, AMP Mk II Annealer, Giraud Trimmer, Forster Co-AX, Dillon XL 650, wet and dry tumbler... about 10 calibers I reload for.

At what point in your all's experience has it dawned that maybe the TIME investment (including the monetary investment) isn't worth it over buying ammo? Seems to be ALOT of great custom ammo shops out there. Even factory loads these days are great. All of my rifles are either custom or high end factory (AI, DT, LMT).

It's a snowball effect, I barely have any time to shoot as it is, and when I do have time, I am always reminded that, "Oh... I have to reload first" (I refuse to buy ammo since I have everything I need to reload)

I buy and sell all the time and about 90% of the time I'm taking a loss. So... as invested as I am I don't really want to sell it all piece by piece (headache) and still take a loss. Help. Anyone in the same boat?
Yup - I got a promotion a couple years ago that did this. I am on the road almost every week, my kids have sports and stuff on the weekends. I didnt even unpack my reloading stuff after we moved.

If I am being honest, I don't think I miss the reloading, nor have I noticed much of a difference. My 3 main guns will shoot factory ammo like the hornady match stuff 1/2 moa or better.

Its just the phase of my life I am in. Factory ammo has come a very long way. Some of it is just as good as any handloaded ammo out there.

Even if I never break even, the ability to maximize ammo performance and not having to worry about unavailable factory ammo is worth it to me.
I've never had factory and come close to the accuracy of my custom loads. And I find loading ammo pretty relaxing.
But, since it's causing you stress, I'll take it off your hands for $3.50 plus shipping:D

Last edited:
If given the choice I would rather shoot a 1/2" group with my hand loads then factory rounds. The groups may be the same size but my smile is bigger:)

Yeah, but somewhat irrelevant to the OPs question. If the only time you could carve out of your schedule was a few hours a month and you could either spend that time shooting at the range with factory ammo or sitting at home reloading what would you do?

For me its a no brainer, I love shooting.

It's a life style that you probably can't quit. Still have my star press and star lube sizzer, all my molds and furnace from bulls eye pistols in the 60s, went to point blank NBRSA and got rigged up for that during the 70s and was doing well till we all went broke farming during the drought in 81. Got back on my feet and and started started shooting skeet, got a mec all hyd 4 gun set up and a reg skeet field here on the farm and would probably still be at that but a horse got on me and broke my back in 96. Was glad I kept my stuff and went back to NBRSA and IBS. All you have to do is keep building bigger shops and never quit hunting during the fall EVERY year no matter what.... Jmho
John

I am retired now and have money. I don't shoot as much as I did when I was younger but I enjoy reloading. I have everything I need to do so and can't help but stack up ammo so when I do go shooting or hunting I have plenty. I enjoy perfecting my reloads to whatever extent I can and keep trying new ideas, powder, bullets and firearms. I think once you get into reloading it becomes a habit. I don't buy factory ammo very much at all. I just can't bring myself to paying for someone else's idea of a of a good load. That said, I will keep reloading till I can't do it any longer!

one day it might be where you can't or allowed to buy factory ammo and reloading supplies I like to reload wildcat calibers

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.